COVID-19 is a new strain of the common cold that has been p...
Where is Rivastigmine Tartrate used?
Rivastigmine Tartrate is a prescription used for the treatment of dementia. It is related to Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease. This belongs to the class of medications called cholinesterase inhibitors. This comes as a capsule for oral administration. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) already approved this medication.
How does Rivastigmine Tartrate work?
Rivastigmine Tartrate slows the breakdown of a neurotransmitter in the brain called acetylcholine. Neurotransmitters are stored in nerve cells in the brain and nervous system. These are also involved in transmitting messages between the nerve cells. The acetylcholinesterase is being broken down by another natural chemical as wells as acetylcholine in the brain is repeatedly being released by nerve cells.
One of the features of both Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease appears to be a lower than normal level of acetylcholine in the brain. This is a part of the degeneration of brain cells, in particular, those that usually release acetylcholine. This drug increases the level of acetylcholine in the brain. It is by preventing the action of acetylcholinesterase which is the compound that usually breaks it down. This reduces the collapse of acetylcholine that is unconstrained from lasting safe nerve cells in the brain.
This medication may take as long as 12 weeks to begin working. Individual responses to this medication will vary. This drug does not affect the basic progressive process of the disease. The result of this is an increased activity of acetylcholine in the brain. This improves the cognitive processes like learning and memory, thinking, and improves symptoms of dementia.
How is Rivastigmine Tartrate taken?
- The recommended starting dose of Rivastigmine Tartrate is 1.5 mg twice a day.
- Each dose is to be taken with food.
- Your doctor will usually begin with a low dose and gradually increase it over 2-4 weeks.
- The maximum recommended adult dose is 6 milligrams taken twice a day.
- Remember to take it at the same time and in the same way each day. Take it regularly for the best benefit of this product.
- Drink plenty of fluids while having this treatment.
- The capsule is to be taken by mouth depending on the dosage that will be prescribed to you.
- Take each dose exactly as it is given by your doctor.
- Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than the prescription.
What are the possible side effects of Rivastigmine Tartrate?
- Upset stomach
- Loss of appetite
What are the precautions in taking Rivastigmine Tartrate?
- This drug should not be used in people who are allergic to any ingredient of this product and those who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This should be used with caution in people with liver or kidney problems, heart problems, current active peptic ulcers with a history of asthma, or seizures.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history such as problems urinating, lung or breathing problems, and stomach or intestinal problems.
- This medication may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or operate any machinery until you can do it safely.
- Tell your doctor if you have current medications including herbal supplements or vitamins.