COVID-19 is a new strain of the common cold that has been p...
Rich Sources of Vitamin C
The COVID-19 pandemic has turned our attention to immunity-boosting vitamins and supplements. Having a weakened immune system will make you prone to the infection. People with the underlying condition and a weakened immune system have a higher risk of serious complications from the disease. Therefore, strengthen your immune system with vitamin C. It is considered as one of the best immune-booster vitamins.
Vitamin C or also known as ascorbic acid has several important functions. It is a water-soluble vitamin that can be found in a variety of fruits and vegetables. Due to its health benefits, Vitamin C has received a great deal of attention.
In the absence of the COVID-19 vaccine, people are seeking to boost their immunity to protect themselves from the infection. Strengthen your immune system with these vitamins C-rich foods:
- Mango – a cup of this fruit provides vitamin A that is about a quarter of the daily vitamin you need.
- Potato – this is considered to be rich in vitamin C and B-complex. Potato also has good doses of minerals.
- Lemons – these are high in vitamin C that has antiviral and antibacterial properties. It helps enhance the immune system.
- Bell pepper – this has over 150% of you total vitamin C that is needed per day.
- Broccoli – This is a nutrient-packed powerhouse. Broccoli is high in iron, zinc, magnesium, potassium, and high in beta-carotene. A cup of broccoli gives you much vitamin C as an orange.
- Kiwi – a cup of this fruit will give you about 273% of your daily recommended value. Kiwi is a nutrient-dense and full of vitamin C.
- Strawberry – one of the great sources of vitamin C.
- Tomato juice – this is a top source of vitamin A and C. Both are playing an integral role in immune health.
- Pineapple – This fruit has Bromelain which is an enzyme that helps the digestion of protein. Pineapple also lets your body utilize immune-boosting amino acids effectively.
- Cauliflower – this is rich in antioxidants for immunity booster. Cauliflower also contains choline that is a nutrient essential to a healthy diet.
- Guava – this is also loaded in vitamin C that you can add to your daily diet for a stronger immunity system.
- Cantaloupe – this contains 100% of vitamin C you need daily.
Here’s why you should add foods rich in vitamin C to your daily diet to help you stay healthy. The following are some other benefits of vitamin C:
- May reduce your risk of chronic disease
- May help you manage your blood pressure
- Lowers your risk of having heart disease
- Lessens blood uric acid levels and prevents gout attacks
- Helps prevent iron deficiency
- Protects your memory and thinking as you age
- Helps you look younger. Vitamin C supports the production of collagen that improves the look of your skin.
- May prevent cancer by blocking the damage. The damages may be caused by free radicals which can increase the risk of cancer
- May also help with wound healing
- Supports normal growth and development
- Helps your body absorb iron