COVID-19 is a new strain of the common cold that has been p...
Prazosin Hydrochloride is indicated for the treatment of hypertension. This may be used alone or with other medicines to treat the condition. Lowering high blood pressure helps prevent heart attacks, stroke, and kidney problems. Hypertension is a long-term force of the blood against your artery walls. It is high enough that it may eventually cause health problems. This condition generally develops over many years and it affects nearly everyone. Hypertension is also known as high blood pressure wherein blood pressure is the force that a person’s blood exerts against the walls of their blood vessels. This pressure depends on the resistance of the blood vessels and how hard the heart has to work. Most people with this condition have no signs or symptoms even if blood pressure readings reach dangerously high levels. A few people with hypertension may have headaches, shortness of breath, or nosebleeds.
This medication may also be used to treat Raynaud’s disease and Raynaud’s phenomenon as well as the enlarged prostate gland. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this prescription. Prazosin Hydrochloride is supplied as a capsule for oral use. This is available in the dosage strengths of 1 mg, 2 mg, and 5 mg. Each capsule contains Prazosin Hydrochloride as an active ingredient. It is a type of medicine called an alpha-blocker.
How does Prazosin Hydrochloride work?
In hypertension, Prazosin Hydrochloride blocks alpha receptors which are found in the muscle in the walls of blood vessels. It causes the muscles in the blood vessel to relax and the blood vessel to widen. This lets the blood pass more easily through the blood vessels and lessens the pressure in the blood vessels.
In Raynaud’s disease and Raynaud’s phenomenon, these conditions are where the arteries supplying blood to the hands and feet go into spasm and narrow. This restricts the blood supply to the fingers and toes that causes them to go cold, pale, and painful. This medication widens the blood vessels and so increases the blood flow to the hands and feet. Therefore, Prazosin Hydrochloride relieves the symptoms of the disease.
In treating enlarged prostate gland, this medication blocks the alpha receptors that are also found in the muscle in the prostate gland. This gland is found only in men and lies at the top of the tube connecting the bladder to the outside. The prostate gland often enlarges with advancing age, pressing on the urethra, and obstructing the flow of urine from the bladder. This may cause various urinary symptoms such as difficulty passing urine. By blocking the receptors in the prostate, this drug causes the muscle to relax. This allows urine to flow freely past the prostate gland and relieves the urinary symptoms of the condition.
How to use Prazosin Hydrochloride?
The prescribed dosage is based on your medical condition and response to the treatment. You must take this medication exactly as it is given by your doctor. You should not take less or more often than the prescription. Your doctor may direct you to start at a lower dose and eventually increase it. Let your doctor know if your condition worsens or does not improve.
Prazosin Hydrochloride is to be taken by mouth usually two to three times a day or as directed by your doctor. You may take each tablet with or without a meal. If a stomach upset occurs, take it with food. It may take 2 to 4 hours before the full benefit of this medication takes effect. It is important to continue taking this even if you feel well. Do not suddenly stop taking Prazosin Hydrochloride without the consent of your doctor. To help you remember, take it at the same time and in the same way each day. Swallow the tablet as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not break, chew, or crush it. Drink plenty of fluids while having this treatment. Doing so may lessen the risk of certain side effects. If you missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the side effects of Prazosin Hydrochloride?
Common side effects:
- Weakness or tiredness
- Blurred vision
- Chest pain
- Trouble breathing
- Constipation as your body adjusts to the medication
- Light-headedness or dizziness upon standing especially after the first dose and shortly after taking a dose during the first week of treatment
Call your doctor right away if these serious side effects occur:
- Very fast heartbeat
- An erection lasting more than four hours
- Loss of consciousness
Get emergency medical help if there are signs of an allergic reaction such as:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, and throat
Warnings and Precautions
- This first dose of this medication may cause dizziness or fainting. For this reason, you should take it just before retiring to bed at night. Be careful when moving from lying down to sitting. If you feel dizzy, sit or lie down until the symptoms pass.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages. It may enhance the blood pressure-lowering effect of this drug and may cause dizziness in some people.
- Do not operate any machinery while having this medication. This may cause fatigue.
- During treatment with this medicine, your blood pressure should be monitored.
- Before having this medication, let your doctor know if you have any medical history especially of heart problems, kidney disease, prostate cancer, or certain eye problems.
- Call for medical help and stop taking the drug if there are any signs of an overdose.
- Do not share this medicine with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- Use this with caution in people with decreased kidney or liver function, people taking other blood pressure-lowering medication, and in elderly people.
- This should not be used in children under 12 years of age and for people who have heart failure due to a mechanical obstruction of the heart.