Where is Ibritumomab Tiuxetan used? Ibritumomab Tiuxetan...
Pramipexole is a prescription used for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease. It is a neurodegenerative disorder that leads to progressive deterioration of motor function. It is due to the loss of dopamine-producing brain cells. In the early stages, your face may show little or no expression. Your arms may not swing when you walk. Your speech may also become slurred or soft. Parkinson’s disease signs and symptoms can be different for everyone. Early signs may be mild and go unnoticed. Symptoms often begin on one side of your body. Usually, it remains worse on that side even after symptoms begin to affect both sides. The 3 main symptoms of this disease are:
- Slow movement
- Involuntarily shaking of particular parts of the body
- Stiff and inflexible muscles
A person with Parkinson’s disease can also experience a wide range of other physical and psychological symptoms such as:
- Balance problems
- Depression and anxiety
- Problems sleeping or insomnia
- Loss of sense of smell
- Memory problems
Pramipexole is a dopamine agonist that helps restore the balance of certain natural substances in the brain. That it improves your ability to move and can lessen shakiness or tremor. It also decreases slowed movement, stiffness, and unsteadiness. Pramipexole can as well reduce the number of episodes of not being able to move. This is a prescription already approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This is supplied as tablets for oral use. This product is available in the dosage forms of 0.125 mg, 0.25 mg, 0.5 mg, 0.75 mg, 1 mg, and 1.5 mg. Each tablet contains Pramipexole as an active ingredient. It is a white to off-white powder substance that is practically insoluble in dichloromethane. It is also soluble in water and methanol.
How does Pramipexole work?
Pramipexole works by imitating the activity of a substance in the brain called dopamine. Dopamine is a substance known as a neurotransmitter. Neurotransmitters are present in the brain and nervous system and are involved in transmitting messages between nerves. These messages allow the normal functioning of the body. The neurotransmitter dopamine is known to be reduced or absent in the brains of people with Parkinson’s disease. This is thought to be the cause of disease symptoms. Dopamine normally transmits messages by stimulating specific receptor sites in the brain. This drug stimulates these same receptor sites. This produces the same effects as dopamine and acts as a dopamine substitute. In this way, Pramipexole helps to restore the dopamine activity in the brain. In which it helps decrease the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
How to use Pramipexole?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition, age, and response to the treatment. Your doctor may direct you to start at a lower dose and eventually increase it. You should take the right dose, not more or less. Remember to take it at the same time and in the same way each day. Do not suddenly stop taking this medication without the consent of your doctor. It may cause another complication or may worsen your current condition. For the best benefit from this product, take it regularly.
Pramipexole is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water usually once a day. You may take each dose with or without a meal. Taking this medicine with a meal may decrease nausea. This medication may take 2 to 6 weeks to start taking an effect. Swallow the tablet as a whole. Do not break, chew, or crush it. Drink plenty of fluids while having this medication. Doing so may lessen the risk of certain side effects. If you missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to make up for the missed dose. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
What are the side effects of Pramipexole?
Common side effects:
- Dizziness when standing
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
- Spinning sensation
- Appetite or weight changes
- Swelling in your hands and feet
- Sleep problems
- Blurred vision
- Forgetfulness, confusion, or thinking problems
- Memory problems
- Swelling in your hands or feet
- Trouble having an orgasm
Call your doctor right away if you experience these:
- A light-headed feeling like you might pass out
- Extreme drowsiness or falling sleep even after feeling alert
- Unexplained muscle pain, weakness, or tenderness
- Vision problems
- Tremors, twitching, or uncontrollable muscle movements
- Posture changes you cannot control (involuntarily bending forward of your neck or tilting sideways when you sit, stand, or walk)
Get medical help right away if you have these signs of an allergic reaction:
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, and throat
Warnings and Precautions
- This medication may occasionally cause your blood pressure to drop when you move from lying down when you first take this drug.
- This can cause sleepiness and on rare occasions, people have experienced a sudden onset of sleep during their daily activities. People who have experienced sleepiness or an episode of sudden onset sleep while having this drug should not drive or use any machinery.
- Changes in behavior, increase sex drive, compulsive shopping, and binge eating have been reported in people having this medication.
- Pramipexole is not recommended in people with heart disease.
- This should be used with caution in people with decreased kidney function, psychotic illness, and severe disease involving the heart and blood vessels.
- During pregnancy and breastfeeding, this drug should not be used.
- Do not share this prescription with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- Before using, tell your doctor if you have any medical history such as low blood pressure, heart problems, kidney problems, and sleep disorder.
- Inform your doctor if you have current medications including herbal supplements or vitamins.
- You should not take a dose of this drug if you are allergic to it. Let your doctor know right away before using Pramipexole.
- Keep this drug at room temperature.