Where is Fluoxetine HCL used? Fluoxetine HCL is a select...
Pimavanserin is indicated to treat the symptoms of psychosis that might occur with Parkinson’s disease. Psychosis is a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired. Parkinson’s disease is a progressive nervous system disorder that affects movement. This medication helps lessen symptoms such as seeing or hearing things that are not there and false beliefs.
How does Pimavanserin work?
The effect of Pimavanserin may be mediated through a combination of inverse agonist and antagonist activity. It is at serotonin 5-HT 2A receptors and to a lesser extent at serotonin 5-HT 2C receptors. This typically works to stimulate dopamine and lessen the symptoms of psychosis and Parkinson’s disease.
Why use Pimavanserin?
Pimavanserin belongs to a class of drugs known as atypical antipsychotics. This works differently from most other drugs in this class. This changes the activity of certain natural substances in the brain. Pimavanserin is supplied as a tablet for oral use. Each round and white to off-white tablet contains 20 mg of Pimavanserin. It is equivalent to 17 mg of Pimavanserin free base. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How to use Pimavanserin?
The recommended dosage for this prescription is based on your condition, age, and response. This is to be taken exactly as it is given by your doctor. Do not take more or less than the prescription.
Pimavanserin is usually taken once a day. This is to be taken by mouth as directed. Swallow the tablet as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not break or chew it. You may take each dose with or without food. Don’t forget to take it at the same time each day. Take this regularly to get the most benefit from it. It may take several days to see symptoms improve after you start Pimavanserin. It may take up to 2 weeks to see significant changes in symptoms.
What are the side effects of Pimavanserin?
- Swelling of the extremities
- Walking abnormally
Warnings and Precautions
- Do not use this medication if you are allergic to it.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history and current medications (herbal supplements or vitamins).
- Before using, inform your doctor if you have kidney disease.
- Consult your doctor first before using if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding women.
- If you missed a dose, call your doctor for instructions
- Do not let anyone else take your medication. Keep this far from the reach of children.