COVID-19 is a new strain of the common cold that has been p...
Octreotide Acetate is used for the treatment of severe watery diarrhea and sudden reddening of the face and neck. Wherein, it is caused by certain types of tumors:
- Vasoactive intestinal peptide tumors
- Carcinoid tumors
These are usually found in the intestines and pancreas. The symptoms occur when these tumors make too much of certain natural substances called hormones.
This prescription is also indicated for use in:
- Preventing complications following surgery on the pancreas
- Emergency treatment to stop bleeding and prevent re-bleeding from varicose veins in the esophagus in people with liver cirrhosis
This medication may as well be used to treat acromegaly. It usually occurs when the body makes too much of a certain natural substance called growth hormone. Acromegaly causes your bones to increase in size including those of your hands, face, and feet. This usually affects middle-aged adults. Treating this condition helps reduce the risk of serious problems such as heart disease or diabetes. This drug is not a cure for these conditions. This is usually used with other treatments such as radiation, surgery, or other drugs.
Octreotide Acetate is a type of medicine called somatostatin analog. It is similar to a naturally occurring hormone in the body called somatostatin. It is produced in various parts of the body including the gut, brain, and pancreas. Its function is to stop the release of certain other hormones such as insulin and growth hormone. This is available in a vial containing the sterile product. In which when mixed with diluent, it becomes a suspension that is given as a monthly intragluteal injection. This is supplied as sterile 6 mL vials in 3 dosage strengths; 10 mg, 20 mg, and 30 mg. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How does Octreotide Acetate work?
Octreotide Acetate mimics the action of natural somatostatin. It lessens the production of these types of hormones. This is used to relieve the symptoms of certain types of tumors. Most tumors develop in the organs of the digestive system. They usually start in the cells of the stomach, intestines, and pancreas. These areas of the body produce various hormones and tumors that grow in these areas. It often caused too much of a certain hormone to be produced. The type of hormone overproduced depends on the type of gland that is affected by the tumor.
Carcinoid tumors are typically found in the intestines. They may create unnecessary amounts of the hormone serotonin. This medication also helps the hormone to be at its normal levels.
This drug decreases or blocks the production of the hormones that caused the disease. By decreasing watery diarrhea, this medication helps to reduce the loss of body fluids and minerals.
How to use Octreotide Acetate?
Octreotide Acetate is to be given by injection into your buttock muscle as directed by your doctor. It is usually given once every 4 weeks. The dosage will depend on your medical condition, age, weight, and response to the treatment. To lessen the irritation, change the location of the injection site in the buttocks with each dose. Avoid giving this medication to the muscles of the arm. Doing so causes more pain and irritation.
Before using this product, check it visually for particles or discoloration. If either is present, do not use the liquid. Clean the injection with rubbing alcohol before injecting each dose. Learn how to store and discard medical supplies safely. Take this medication out of the refrigerator 30 to 60 minutes before mixing. To get the most benefit from it, use the medication regularly. Do not take more or less or more often than the prescribed length of time. Remember to use the prescription at the same time each day. It may help to mark your calendar with a reminder such as every 4 weeks. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse. This should be used very carefully in people with a slow heartbeat, a history of vitamin B12 deficiency, and liver cirrhosis.
What are the side effects of Octreotide Acetate?
Common side effects:
- Loose or oily stools
- Stomach pain or upset
Tell your doctor if you have unlikely but serious side effects of this drug including:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or legs
- Worsening heart condition symptoms (trouble breathing or slow/fast/irregular heartbeat
- Signs of gallbladder or liver problems (stomach pain, fever, severe nausea or vomiting, unexplained pain in the back or right shoulder)
- Signs of underactive thyroid (unusual or extreme tiredness, severe constipation, or unexplained weight gain)
Call for medical assistance if there are signs of an allergic reaction:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of your face, tongue, throat, or mouth
Warnings and Precautions
- Before starting this treatment, make sure you tell your doctor about any other medications you are taking.
- Do not take aspirin or a product that contains aspirin unless your doctor specifically permits this.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or may be pregnant before starting this medication. As well as if you are breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages while taking this medication.
- You may experience dizziness or drowsiness. Avoid driving or using any machinery that requires your alertness.
- Before using this, let your doctor know if you have ever had diabetes, thyroid or gallbladder problems, and kidney or liver disease.
- Caution is advised when using this medication in children. The use of this drug for a long period may slow the child’s growth rate. However, after treatment with the drug is stopped, the growth rate catches up.
- Call for medical help and stop taking the drug if there are any signs of an overdose.
- People receiving long-term treatment with this medication should have their thyroid function and liver function regularly monitored.
- Women who need treatment with this prescription should use an effective method of contraception to prevent pregnancy. This is important for women with acromegaly, as this drug can restore your fertility as it restores your hormone levels.