Where is Ibritumomab Tiuxetan used? Ibritumomab Tiuxetan...
What is Hydrocodone Bitartrate and how does it work?
Hydrocodone Bitartrate is an opioid analgesic used to help relieve mild to moderate pain. Opioid analgesics lessen pain transmission to the brain by activating the descending nerve fibers from the periaqueductal gray. It is within the midbrain and raphe nuclei within the medulla that controls the endogenous opioid that has the dorsal horn of the spinal cord. Opioids directly inhibit afferent nerve transmission by binding to mu-opioid receptors presynaptically and postsynaptically within the dorsal horn of the spinal cord. As a result of these mechanisms, the ascending pathways for pain stimuli are inhibited and pain relief is provided to the patient.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this prescription. Hydrocodone Bitartrate comes as an extended-release capsule for oral use. It has dosage strengths of 10 mg, 15 mg, 20 mg, 30 mg, 40 mg, and 50 mg.
How to use Hydrocodone Bitartrate?
Take this medication on a regular schedule as directed by your doctor. Hydrocodone Bitartrate is to be taken by mouth usually every 12 hours. Each dose may be taken with or without food. If you have nausea, it may help to take this medicine with food. Swallow the capsule as a whole without breaking, chewing, or crushing it. Doing so may release the entire drug at once which increases the risk of side effects.
The dosage is based on your medical condition and response. You should not use this drug more often or increase your dose than prescribed. Your condition will not improve and your risk of side effects will increase. Pain medications work best if they are used as the first signs of pain occur. If you wait until the pain gets worse, the medicine may not work as well. When this is used for a long time, it may not work as well. Talk with your doctor if this drug stops working well.
What are the side effects of Hydrocodone Bitartrate?
Common side effects:
- Stomach upset
Side effects that need the attention of your doctor:
- Breathing problems
- Yellowing of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Stomach pain
- Feeling faint or light-headedness
- Signs of allergic reactions (swelling of your face, hives, or itching)
Things you should watch while having Hydrocodone Bitartrate:
- You may get dizzy or drowsy when you first take this drug. Do not use machinery, drive, or perform activities that may be hazardous until you know how this drug affects you.
- There are different types of pain medicine. If you take one type at the same time, you may have more side effects. Give your doctor or healthcare provider a list of all medicines you use. Your doctor will direct you on how much medicine to take. Do not take more medicine than prescribed. Call for medical help right away if you have signs of overdose.
- This drug will cause constipation. Try to have a bowel movement at least every 2-3 days if you do not have a bowel movement for 3 days, call your doctor immediately.
- It is not recommended to take medicines that contain Acetaminophen along with this drug. Excess intake of Acetaminophen can be very unsafe.