What condition does Etoposide treat? Etoposide is used a...
Where is Guanfacine Hydrochloride used?
Guanfacine Hydrochloride is used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). This is used as part of a total treatment plan including educational, psychological, and social measures.
ADHD is a mental disorder of the neurodevelopmental type. It is characterized by excessive activity and difficulty paying attention and behavior without regard to consequences. In which it is not appropriate for a person’s age.
This medication is used alone or in combination with other ADHD drugs. It may help lessen ADHD symptoms such as being:
- Arguing with adults
- Losing one’s temper
Guanfacine Hydrochloride is a centrally-acting alpha 2A adrenergic receptor agonist. It comes as a tablet for oral use. In the year 1986, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved this medication.
How does Guanfacine Hydrochloride work?
Guanfacine Hydrochloride is thought to affect receptors in the parts of the brain that leads to strengthening working memory and lessening distraction. It also improves attention and impulse control.
Unlike any other medications used to treat ADHD, this drug is not a stimulant. The exact way that this drug works to treat the condition is unknown.
How is Guanfacine Hydrochloride taken?
This is usually taken once a day in the morning or evening. You may take each dose with or without a meal. Do not take each dose with a high-fat meal. It may increase the amount you absorb and leads to an increased risk of side effects. The medicine is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water.
The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to it. Remember to take each dose in the same way and time each day. Take it exactly as it is prescribed. Do not take more or less than the prescription of your doctor. It is important to let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
What are the possible side effects of Guanfacine Hydrochloride?
- Dry mouth
What are the precautions in taking Guanfacine Hydrochloride?
- Do not suddenly stop or change the dosage of this medication without consulting your doctor.
- Call your doctor right away if there are side effects that are severe or get worse.
- Consult your doctor first if you can take this medication especially if you are a pregnant women or breastfeeding. This may not be recommended for use in them.
- Do not use this drug for the treatment of any other condition without the consent of a doctor.
- Children may be more sensitive to the side effects of this medicine. This should be used with caution in them.
- Before using this drug, tell your doctor your medical history especially of kidney or liver disease.
- Call for emergency medical assistance if there are any symptoms of an allergic reaction.
- Let your doctor know if you are allergic to it or if you have any allergies. This drug may contain an ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.