COVID-19 is a new strain of the common cold that has been p...
What condition does Gabapentin Enacarbil treat?
Gabapentin Enacarbil is used for the treatment of severe restless legs syndrome. It is a disorder that causes a strong urge to move one’s legs. There is sometimes an unpleasant feeling in the legs that improves the movement.
This medication may also be used to relieve nerve pain following shingles. It is a painful rash that is caused by a herpes zoster infection. This condition is called postherpetic neuralgia.
Gabapentin Enacarbil belongs to the group of medications called anti-seizure drugs. This comes as a tablet to be administered orally. This was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2011.
How does Gabapentin Enacarbil work?
Gabapentin Enacarbil resembles the neurotransmitter which is the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). A neurotransmitter is a chemical that nerves use to communicate with one another. This similarity may be related to gabapentin’s mechanism of action.
This medication is a prodrug of the anticonvulsant gabapentin. It means it is first converted to Gabapentin in the body before it can have its effects.
What is the recommended dosage for Gabapentin Enacarbil?
The dosage depends on your medical condition and response to the treatment. Remember to take it exactly as it is prescribed. Do not take it more than the prescription to avoid some complications. Swallow the medicine as a whole. Do not chew or crush it. Remember to take it at the same time every day. If you missed a dose, call your doctor for instructions. If you often miss a dose, it is important to inform your health care provider about it.
For restless legs syndrome, it is usually taken once daily at about 5 in the afternoon. Each dose may be taken with food. This dosing schedule is for people who are awake during the day and asleep at night. Talk to your doctor about your schedule before using this.
For postherpetic neuralgia, it is to be taken by mouth usually once a day. It is to be taken with food for several days. It will increase to twice a day with food afterward.
What are the side effects of Gabapentin Enacarbil?
- Loss of coordination
- Blurred vision
What are the precautions in taking Gabapentin Enacarbil?
- Your doctor must check your progress at regular visits. This will allow your doctor to see if the medicine is working properly and to decide if you should continue to take it.
- Do not drive or do anything that requires your alertness. This drug may make you feel dizzy and make your vision blurred. Do it if you already feeling well.
- This medication must be used with caution in older people. They are more sensitive to certain side effects of this drug especially loss of coordination or dizziness. These side effects can increase the risk of falling.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you have medical history or allergies before taking the drug.
- This may not be recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women. Consult your doctor first.