COVID-19 is a new strain of the common cold that has been p...
What condition does Fludrocortisone treat?
Fludrocortisone is used for the treatment of low glucocorticoid levels. In which it is caused by disease of the adrenal gland such as:
- Salt-losing adrenogenital syndrome
- Adrenocortical insufficiency
- Addison’s disease
Glucocorticoids are needed in many ways for the body to function well. It is important for salt and water balance. It also keeps the blood pressure normal. Those are needed to break down carbohydrates in your diet.
Fludrocortisone is a man-made oral corticosteroid. In 1954, this was originally approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The first generic form of this drug was approved by the FDA in 2002. This comes as a tablet for oral use.
How does Fludrocortisone work?
Fludrocortisone is a type of medicine called corticosteroid. Corticosteroid medicines are derivatives of the corticosteroid hormones cortisol and aldosterone that are made naturally by the adrenal glands. They are often simply called steroids, but it must be noted that they are very different from another group of steroids, called anabolic steroids. Corticosteroids have various important functions on every organ system:
- They affect the strength of the heart muscle and its response to natural chemicals affecting heart rate.
- They affect the salt and water balance in the body and also allow the body to cope with stress. Stress can be risky if the body is not equipped to cope because of low levels of corticosteroids.
- Corticosteroids allow us to respond to stress by increasing blood supply to essential tissues, increasing the rate and force of the heartbeat, increasing the supply of energy in the body by raising blood sugar, and by several other effects on body systems.
The action of this medicine in the body is the same as the natural steroid hormone aldosterone. It is normally used along with hydrocortisone tablets for complete replacement therapy.
What is the recommended dosage for Fludrocortisone?
Take this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. Take it exactly as it is prescribed. Do not take it more often than the prescription.
Fludrocortisone is to be taken by mouth. Take it with a full glass of water. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response. Remember to take the prescription at the same time every day.
What are the side effects of Fludrocortisone?
Common side effects:
- Stomach upset or pain
- Spinning sensation
- Mood changes
- Sleep problems
- Dry skin
- Bruising or discoloration
- Thinning skin
- Increased sweating
- Slow wound healing
Tell your doctor if you have unlikely but serious side effects:
- Easy bleeding
- Puffy face
- Severe tiredness
- Muscle weakness
- Unusual weight gain
- Increased thirst or urination
What are the precautions in taking Fludrocortisone?
- Do not take this drug more often and change the dosage without consulting your doctor.
- Let your doctor if your condition continues or gets worse.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to it or if you have any allergies.
- Inform your doctor about the medical history that you had.
- It is recommended that you have regular blood tests to monitor the levels of salts in your blood while you are taking this medication.
- Keep this far from the reach of children.