COVID-19 is a new strain of the common cold that has been p...
What condition does Dalteparin Sodium treat?
Dalteparin Sodium is used in various conditions such as:
- To prevent and treat serious complications from angina and heart attacks along with aspirin
- To prevent deep vein thrombosis that may lead to pulmonary embolism
- To treat people who are on bed rest or who are having abdominal surgery or hip replacement
- To treat pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis and prevent it from occurring again in children one month of age and older as well as in adults with the same condition
Dalteparin Sodium to the group of medications called anticoagulants or also known as blood thinners. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this treatment.
How does Dalteparin Sodium work?
Dalteparin Sodium is a type of medicine called low molecular weight heparin that stops blood clots from forming within the blood vessels. This works by inactivating thrombin in the clotting process. This stops the formation of fibrin which is an essential component of blood clots. Circulating blood clots are dangerous. They might cause medical problems such as stroke, heart attack, or pulmonary embolism.
What is the recommended dosage for Dalteparin Sodium?
This is given by injection under the skin. This is usually given once or twice a day when used for adults. When used for children, this is usually given twice a day. Before injecting each dose, clean the injection site first with rubbing alcohol. You should not inject it into a muscle.
The length of your treatment will depend on the condition that you have and how well your body responds to the medication.
- To prevent heart and angina attacks, this is usually given for 5 to 8 days
- To prevent deep vein thrombosis after surgery, this is usually given on the day of surgery and 5 to 10 days after the surgery
- To prevent deep vein thrombosis in people who are on bed rest, this is usually given 12 to 14 days
- To prevent and treat deep vein thrombosis, you may need to use this medication for up to 6 months
What are the side effects of Dalteparin Sodium?
- Sudden weakness
- Pale skin
- Vision changes
- Unusual dizziness
- Severe headache
- Redness, pain, irritation, or bruising at the injection site
What are the precautions in taking Dalteparin Sodium?
- Remember each time to change the injection site. It is to lessen injury under the skin.
- Some medications may alter the effect of Dalteparin Sodium. If you are taking medication used to treat gout, cancer, blood clots, heart failure, some infections, or that contains ascorbic acid, let your doctor know that you are taking this medication.
- Call for medical assistance if you experience any symptoms of a spinal cord blood clot (muscle weakness or numbness in your lower body, back pain, or loss of bowel or bladder control).
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to this drug or if you have any particular allergies.
- This medication should be used if you have a low level of platelets in your blood or active bleeding while having this treatment.
- Let your doctor know if you have any current medications or any medical history.
- Keep this at a dry and clean place away from moisture and heat.