Where is Ibritumomab Tiuxetan used? Ibritumomab Tiuxetan...
Abiraterone Acetate Tablets
Abiraterone Acetate is used for the treatment of prostate cancer that has already spread to other parts of the body. This is a type of medicine known as an androgen biosynthesis inhibitor or an androgen.
Prostate cancers are sensitive to testosterone and their growth is increased in the presence of this hormone. Testosterone is produced by the testicles, the adrenal glands, and by cells in the prostate tumor itself.
Abiraterone Acetate works by preventing the action of an enzyme called cytochrome P17. The enzyme is also involved in the production of testosterone. This enzyme is found in the testicles, the adrenal glands, and the tissues of the prostate tumor. By inhibiting the activity of this enzyme in all these places, the amount of testosterone in the body is reduced more than by medical castration. This helps decrease the growth of prostate cancer cells.
Standard treatment for prostate cancer that has spread beyond the prostate gland involves stopping the production of testosterone by the testicles. It is to slow the growth of the cancer cells. This is usually achieved with medicines called LHRH or gonadorelin analogs or with surgery to the testicles.
Doctors know that prostate cancer begins when some cells in your prostate become abnormal. Mutations in the abnormal cells’ DNA cause the cells to grow more rapidly than normal cells do. The abnormal cells continue living when other cells would die. The accumulating abnormal cells form a tumor that can grow to invade nearby tissue. Some abnormal cells can also break off and spread to other parts of the body.
Prostate cancer is one of the most common types of cancer in men. Cancer usually grows slowly and initially confined to the prostate gland. However, while some types of prostate cancer grow slowly and may need minimal or even no treatment. The prostate is a small walnut-shaped gland in men that creates the seminal fluid. More advanced prostate cancer may cause signs and symptoms such as:
- Trouble urinating
- Blood in semen
- Decreased force in the stream of urine
- Discomfort in the pelvic area
- Erectile dysfunction
- Bone pain
Factors that can increase your risk of prostate cancer include:
- Age – your risk of having this condition increases as you age
- Obesity – obese men diagnosed with prostate cancer may be more likely to have advanced disease that is more difficult to treat
- Race – in black men, prostate cancer is more likely to be aggressive or advanced
- Family history – if men in your family have had prostate cancer, your risk may be increased
Some tips on how to reduce your risk of prostate cancer;
- Choose healthy foods over supplements
No studies have shown that supplements play a role in reducing your risk of prostate cancer. Instead, choose foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals so that you can maintain healthy levels of vitamins in your body.
- Maintain a healthy weight
Work to maintain your healthy weight by exercising most days of the week. If you need to lose weight, add more exercise, and reduce the number of calories you eat each day.
- Talk to your doctor about the increased risk of prostate cancer
Men with a high risk of prostate cancer may consider medications or other treatments to reduce their risk.
- Choose a healthy diet full of fruits and vegetables
Avoid high-fat foods and instead focus on choosing a variety of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Fruits and vegetables contain many vitamins and nutrients that can contribute to your health. Whether you can prevent prostate cancer through diet has yet to be conclusively proved. But eating a healthy diet with a variety of fruits and vegetables can improve your overall health.
How to use Abiraterone Acetate Tablets?
Abiraterone Acetate is to be taken by mouth on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after food. This is usually taken once a day or as directed by your doctor. The dosage is based on your mei9dcal condition and response to the treatment. Taking this medicine with food greatly increases the amount of the drug in your body and increases the risk of side effects as well.
You need to swallow the whole medicine and don’t chew or break it. Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time each day. Do not stop any prescription that has given for the treatment of prostate cancer unless your doctor tells you to do so. Stopping the medications will allow cancer to spread more quickly.
What are the side effects of Abiraterone Acetate?
- Joint swelling or discomfort
- Shortness of breath
- High blood pressure
- Urinary tract infection
If these side effects persist or get worse, call your doctor right away.
- This drug may cause liver problems. For this reason, your doctor will want you to have blood tests to monitor your liver function.
- Your blood pressure and the level of potassium in your blood should also be checked every month. You should tell your doctor if you have any signs of fluid retention.
- Women who are or could be pregnant should wear gloves if they need to touch or handle Abiraterone Acetate.
- Use this with caution in people with decreased liver function, severely decreased kidney function, or high blood pressure. People with a history of heart disease, with a low level of potassium in their blood, and on a low sodium diet, this medication should also be used with caution.
- This is not for use in women and men with severely decreased liver function.
- Abiraterone Acetate should not be taken by people with rare hereditary problems of galactose intolerance or glucose-galactose malabsorption.
- This medicine should not be used if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Please inform your doctor if you have previously experienced such an allergy. If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor right away.