Favipiravir is an influenza drug which was approvedfor cli...
Zidovudine is used in pregnantwomen to prevent passing the HIV infection to the unborn baby. This helpsdecrease the amount of HIV in your body. It is to let your immune system workbetter. This also lowers your chance of getting HIV complications and improvesyour quality of life. This is usually used in combination with other HIVmedications. Zidovudine is in the class of drugs called nucleoside reversetranscriptase inhibitors (NRTIs). Thisprescription is also used to prevent infection in newborn babies.
The Food and Drug Administration(FDA) has already approved this prescription. This is supplied as a capsule fororal use. Each capsule is available in the dosage form of 100 mg.
Howdoes Zidovudine work?
Zidovudine blocks the action of the enzyme which interferes with theconversion of viral RNA into DNA. This stops the virus from growing. This drug is one of several medicines that lower the amount of virus inthe body. This helps the immune system to recover and slow down or stop theprogression of the disease from HIV to AIDS.
A combined anti-HIV medicine is necessary to fight HIV because the viruscan become resistant to one agent very fast. This is known as highly active antiretroviraltherapy (HAART) or combined antiretroviral therapy (cART). Zidovudine is usedin combination with other anti-HIV drugs that attack HIV in different ways.This minimizes the ability of the virus to replicate and multiply. This helpsprevent it from becoming resistant to treatment.
Howto use Zidovudine?
The dosage of this prescriptionis based on your medical condition and response to the treatment. Your doctormay give you a lower dose and slowly increase it. This is to be taken by mouthusually 2 to 3 times a day. Each dose may be taken with or without food or asdirected by your doctor. Take this medication with a full glass of water. Swallowthe capsule as a whole. Do not open or chew it. Remember to take it at the sametime and in the same way each day. Take it regularly for the best benefit ofthis product. Do not suddenly stop this treatment without the consent of yourdoctor.
Take each dose exactly as it isgiven by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longerthan the prescription. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improveor if it gets worse.
Whatare the side effects of Zidovudine?
Common side effects:
- Trouble sleeping or insomnia
- Joint pain
- Changes in the shape or location of body fatespecially in your legs, arms, face, neck, and trunk)
Tell your doctor right away ifyou have these serious side effects:
- Persistent muscle aches or weakness
- Unexplained weight loss
- Numbness or tingling of the hands, arms, feet, orlegs
- Severe tiredness
- Joint pain
- Vision changes
- Signs of infection (chills, fever, cough, andnon-healing skin sores)
- Severe or persistent headaches
- Signs of an overactive thyroid (heat intolerance, nervousness,irritability, bulging eyes, fast or irregular heartbeat, and unusual growth inthe neck
- Signs of certain nerve problems (drooping face, slurredspeech, or difficulty breathing)
- Before using this prescription, tell your doctor ifyou have any medical history such as liver problems, kidney problems, lowred/white blood cells, or alcohol use.
- Inform your doctor if you ever had an allergicreaction to this drug. This may cause an allergic reaction with the inactiveingredient that it contains.
- If you are pregnant, tell your doctor before usingthis drug. Treatment can lower the risk of passing HIV infection to your baby. Discussthe risks and benefits with your doctor.
- Do not breastfeed because breast milk can transmitHIV.
- Caution is advised when using this drug in olderadults because they may be more sensitive to the effects of the medication.
- This drug should be used with caution in peopleover 65 years of age, people with an enlarged liver, decreased liver or kidneyfunction, and obese women.
- Zidovudineshould not be used in people with low levels of hemoglobin and low levels ofwhite blood cells.