People with asthma were identified as being at higher risk ...
Zetia (Ezetimibe) is used to help lower cholesterol in the blood. This is used along with low cholesterol or low-fat diet and exercise. This may be used alone or with other drugs like statins or fibrates. Reducing cholesterol may help prevent strokes and heart attacks.
How does Zetia (Ezetimibe) work?
Zetia (Ezetimibe) works by preventing the production of cholesterol by the liver. This drug has a different mechanism of action. It lowers blood cholesterol by decreasing the absorption of cholesterol from the intestine. It does not affect the absorption of triglycerides or fat-soluble vitamins.
Why use Zetia (Ezetimibe)?
Zetia (Ezetimibe) belongs to the class of medications called cholesterol absorption inhibitors. This comes as a tablet for oral use. Each tablet has Ezetimibe as an active ingredient. This is available in the strength of 10mg. The Food and Drug Administration approved this in the year 2002.
How to use Zetia (Ezetimibe)?
The recommended dosage for this medication is based on your medical condition and response. Take this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time each day.
This drug is usually taken once a day. You may take it with or without food. Follow the prescription of your doctor very carefully.
It is important to continue taking this drug even if you feel well. Most people with high cholesterol do not feel sick. It may take up to 2 weeks before you get the full benefits of this medication.
What are the side-effects of Zetia (Ezetimibe)?
Common side effects:
- Back pain
- Numbness or tingly feeling
- Stomach or abdominal pain
- Tired feeling
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Depressed mood
- Joint pain
- Cold symptoms
Call your doctor or for medical help if there are signs of an allergic reaction:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
Warnings and Precautions
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to it or if you have any allergies before taking this medication. This drug may have an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- If an overdose occurs, call for medical help right away.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding women, talk with your doctor first. Discuss the risks and benefits of this drug.
- You should not share this with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- Keep this away from the reach of children.