Where is Ticarcillin-Clavulanate used?Ticarcillin-Clavu...
Where is Vigabatrin used?
Vigabatrin is a prescription medication used for the treatment of infantile spasms. This drug may as well be used in combination with other medications to treat seizure disorders. This decreases the number of seizures in adults and children. Vigabatrin is a prescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This is a type of drug called an anticonvulsant. It is thought to work by stopping the breakdown of a natural calming substance in the brain. The substance is called GABA which means Gamma-aminobutyric acid.
How does Vigabatrin work?
The brain and nerves consist of many nerve cells. These communicate with each other through electrical signals. For the brain and nerves to function properly, these signals must be carefully regulated. It becomes over-stimulated and normal function is disturbed when abnormally rapid and repetitive electrical signals are released in the brain. This results in fits or seizures.
Vigabatrin affects the activity of a neurotransmitter called GABA. Neurotransmitters are natural body chemicals that are stored in nerve cells. They are involved in transmitting messages between the nerve cells. GABA acts as a natural ‘nerve-calming’ agent and is a neurotransmitter. It helps keep the electrical nerve activity in the brain in balance. This drug prevents the breakdown of GABA in the brain. This allows GABA to calm the nerve activity in the brain for a longer period, which helps to prevent seizures.
How is Vigabatrin taken?
The dosage of Vigabatrin is based on your medical condition to respond to it. Your doctor may recommend starting you with a lower dose and gradually increasing it. You should not take more or less than the prescribed dosage of your doctor.
This drug is to be taken by mouth, usually taken once a day for the treatment of infantile spasms. The medicine is usually given in the evening. When your child is already used to the drug, you may start giving them twice a day; once in the morning and once in the evening. For the treatment of seizure disorders, Vigabatrin is given twice a day. The medication may be taken with or without food. To help you remember, take it at the same time each day. Continue to take your other seizure medications unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
What are the side effects of Vigabatrin?
What are the precautions in taking Vigabatrin?
- Vigabatrin should be used with caution in children and elderly people. This should as well be used carefully in people with decreased kidney function.
- For people with a history of mental disorders, behavioral problems, and depression, consult first your doctor before using this drug.
- Vigabatrin may cause an allergic reaction. Let your doctor know if you ever had an allergic reaction to this drug. This may contain some ingredients that cause an allergic reaction.
- This medication should not be used in people with significant eye problems that have impaired their field of vision.
- If you are a pregnant or breastfeeding woman, do not use this product without consulting your doctor.
- This drug may make you feel dizzy. Do not use any machinery or drive unless you know how this affects you.
- Women with epilepsy need to take to the doctor responsible for their epilepsy treatment before becoming pregnant. Those drugs may be associated with an increased risk of developmental disorders and malformations in the baby.