If you are taking care of yourself or for others at home wi...
Sulindac is a prescription used for the treatment of;
This isthe most common form of arthritis which affects millions of people. It happenswhen the defensive cartilage that cushions the ends of your bones wears downover time. Although this condition can damage any joint, it most commonlyaffects joints in your knees, hands, hips, and spine. The symptoms of thiscondition can usually be managed, though the damage to joints can’t bereversed. Keeping a good weight, staying active, and some treatments might slowthe progression of the disease. It may as well help improve pain and jointfunction. Osteoarthritis symptoms frequently progress slowly and get worse overtime. Signs and symptoms may include:
- Loss of flexibility
- Bone spurs
- Grating sensation
This is achronic inflammatory disorder that can affect more than just your joints. Forsome people, it can damage a wide variety of body systems. The inflammationassociated with rheumatoid arthritis is what can damage other parts of the bodyalso. Primary rheumatoid arthritis is likely to disturb first your smallerjoints. It is mainly the joints that are attached to your fingers, hands, andtoes to your feet.
Signsand symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis may include:
- Warm, tender, and swollen joints
- Fatigue, fever, and loss of appetite
- Joint stiffness that is usually worse in the mornings and after inactivity
Thiscondition is characterized by sudden and severe attacks of pain, swelling, andtenderness in the joints. An attack of gout can happen suddenly. It may bewaking you up in the middle of the night with the sensation that your big toeis on fire. The affected joint is swollen and hot. It is so tender as well thateven the weight of the sheet on it may seem intolerable. The symptoms of thiscondition may come and go. Some signs and symptoms of gout may include:
- Lingering discomfort
- Intense joint pain
- Limited range of motion
- Inflammation and redness
Sulindacis in the class of medications called known as a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatorydrug (NSAID). This lessens the swelling, pain, and joint stiffness fromarthritis. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved thisprescription. Sulindac comes as a tablet with dosage strength of 200 mg fororal use.
How doesSulindac work?
Sulindacworks by blocking the action of a substance in the body called cyclo-oxygenase(COX). COX is involved in the creation of several chemicals in the body one ofthose is called prostaglandins. These are made by the body in reaction toinjury and definite illnesses or diseases and cause swelling, inflammation, andpain. Sulindac blocks the production of these prostaglandins and is thereforeeffective at reducing pain and inflammation.
Theprostaglandins are a group of lipids made at sites of damage or infection thatare involved in dealing with illness or injury. They control processes such asblood flow, inflammation, the formation of blood clots, and the induction oflabor.
How touse Sulindac?
Sulindacis to be taken usually twice a day or as directed by your doctor. The tablet isto be taken by mouth. Take this medication with a full glass of water. Do notlie down for at least 10 minutes after taking Sulindac. You may take each doseeither right after meals, with food or with antacids. It may help you preventan upset stomach. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response tothe treatment. To lessen the risk of side effects, use this drug at the lowesteffective dose for the shortest possible length of time. You should notincrease your dose or take more often than recommended.
Incertain conditions, it may take 1 to 2 weeks before the full benefits takeeffect when this medication is taken regularly. Let your doctor know if yourcondition does not improve or if it gets worse. Swallow the drug as a wholewith a full glass of water. Do not crush, break, or chew the tablets. Rememberto take it at the same time and in the same way each day. If you missed a dose,take it as soon as you remember it. If it is almost time for your next dose,skip the missed dose and follow your regular schedule.
What arethe side effects of Sulindac?
- Stomach pain
- Upset stomach
- Dry mouth
- Skin itching or rash
- Increased sweating
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Runny nose
- Ringing in your ears
Tell yourdoctor right away if these side effects occur:
- Sudden or unexplained weight gain
- Swelling of the hands or feet
- Mental/mood changes
- Unusual tiredness
- Difficult or painful swallowing
If thereare other side effects occur that are not on the list, let your doctorknow.
- Sulindac should be used with caution in elderly people, those with a history of disorders affecting the stomach, people with decreased kidney functions, or liver functions.
- People with heart failure, high blood pressure, heart disease, and disease of the blood vessels in and around the brain, this medication should be sued carefully.
- This is not recommended for use in people with active peptic ulcers, severe heart failure, severely decreased kidney function or severe liver disease.
- Inform your doctor if you have an allergic reaction to this medication. Tell as well if you have any allergies. This drug may have an ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- If you experience any changes in your vision while having this treatment, you should tell your doctor.
- Certain medicines should not be used during breastfeeding or pregnancy. However, other medicines may be safely used in breastfeeding or pregnancy providing the benefits to the mother outweighs the risks to the unborn baby. Always tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy, before using any medicine.
- If there any signs of overdose or allergic reaction, call for medical help right away.
- Always keep all your medications far from the reach of the children.