All the preventive measures you already followed. You thoro...
What isSertraline HCL and where it is used?
SertralineHCL is a type of medicine called a selective reuptake inhibitor (SSRI)antidepressant. This is used for the treatment of;
- Social anxiety disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- A form of anxiety called panic disorder
This drughelps restore the balance of a certain natural substance in the brain.
How doesit work?
SertralineHCL works by enhancing the activity of the neurotransmitter serotonin in thebrain. Serotonin is known to be involved in regulating emotions, mood, andbehavior. In depression and anxiety disorders, there is a decreased amount ofserotonin released in the brain. This medication stops the serotonin that hasbeen released from being reabsorbed back into the nerve cells in the brain.This helps to prolong its effects and over time this helps to lighten the moodand relieve depression. It also relieves symptoms of anxiety such as panic andfear.
It cantake between two to four weeks before this drug starts to work. You must keeptaking it even if doesn’t seem to make much difference at first. You’ll usuallyneed to keep taking Sertraline HCL every day for several months and for atleast 6 months after you feel better.
How touse it?
Take thismedication by mouth as directed by your doctor. This is usually used once a dayeither in the morning or evening. You may take each dose with food. Swallow themedicine as a whole without crushing or chewing it.
Thedosage is based on your medical condition, age, and response to the treatment.To reduce your risk of side effects, your doctor may direct you to start thismedication at a low dose and gradually increase your dose. Follow theinstructions of your doctor carefully. Take this medication regularly to getthe most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time eachday. Keep taking this medication even if you feel well. Do not stop taking thismedication without consulting your doctor. Some conditions may become worse whenthis drug is suddenly stopped. Let your doctor know if your condition does notimprove or if it gets worse.
What arethe side effects?
- Sleep problems
- Skin rash
- Changes in appetite
- Dry mouth
- Weight loss
Tell yourdoctor if you have serious side effects such as:
- Loss of appetite
- Very stiff muscles
- High fever
- Fats or uneven heartbeats
- Feeling like you might pass out
- Loss of coordination
- Shallow breathing
- Breathing that stops
- Overactive flexes
- Sertraline HCL is not recommended for use in people who have taken MAOI for the last 14 days, people with uncontrolled epilepsy, and with severe liver problems.
- This drug should be used with caution in people with a history of mania, who receives electroconvulsive therapy, with diabetes, glaucoma, heart disease, or have a low level of potassium.
- This should also be used carefully in people who are taking medicines that affect blood clotting.
- Do not take any dose of this drug if you are allergic. Let your doctor know if you have any allergies.