AbirateroneAcetate is used for the treatment of prostate c...
Ranitidine HCL is used to preventand treat peptic ulcers and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). This is a prescription that blocks theproduction of acid. This belongs to the class of medications called Histamine-2(H2) blockers. Histamine is a naturally occurring chemical that stimulates cellsin the stomach to produce acid. The cells are called parietal cells. H2 blockersprevent the action of histamine on the cells. Therefore, it lessens theproduction of acid by the stomach. Since too much stomach acid can damage thestomach or esophagus and lead to inflammation and ulceration, decreasingstomach acid prevents and heals acid-induced ulcers and inflammation.
This medication is alreadyapproved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1984. This productis supplied as a tablet. Each tablet is available in the dosage strength of 150mg for oral use.
Peptic ulcers develop on theinside lining of your stomach and the upper portion of your small intestine. Thiscondition is an open sore that has the most common symptom which is stomachpain. There are two types of peptic ulcers;
- Duodenal ulcers – occurs on the inside of theupper portion of your small intestine
- Gastric ulcers – occurs on the inside of thestomach
GERD occurs when contents fromyour stomach persistently and regularly flow up into your esophagus. Theesophagus may be referred to as the food pipe and is the tube that transports foodfrom the mouth to the stomach. The acid and the esophagus cause heartburn andother symptoms, also possible tissue damage. Many people experience acid refluxfrom time to time. GERD is a mild acid reflux that happens at least twice aweek. Common signs and symptoms of this condition are chest pain, difficultyswallowing, or sensation of a lump in your throat.
Howdoes Ranitidine HCL work?
Ranitidine HCL blocks the H2 receptorsthat stop the cells from producing too much stomach acid. H2 receptors are tobe found on the cells inside the stomach lining. Natural body chemical calledhistamine usually acts on these receptors that cause them to produce stomachacid to help digest food.
This medication also lessens thebackflow of acid into the food pipe that can cause heartburn symptoms anddamage to the food pipe. By lessening the amount of acid in the stomach andduodenum, this medicine allows peptic ulcers to heal.
Your indigestion and heartburnshould start to feel better within an hour or 2 hours. The effects will usuallylast for around 12 hours. It may take a few weeks for this medication to workproperly. Depending on your problems, you may still have some acid symptomsduring this time.
Howto use Ranitidine HCL?
The tablet is to be taken bymouth depending on the dosage that will be prescribed to you. Swallow thetablet as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not break, chew, or crush it.Drink plenty of fluids while having this treatment. The given dosage is basedon your medical condition and response to the medication. Take each doseexactly as it is given by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amountsor for longer than the prescription. Your doctor may give you a lower dose tostart and gradually increase it.
Ranitidine HCL is to be taken asdirected by your doctor. Each dose may be taken with or without a meal. Take itregularly for the best benefit of this product. Remember to take it at the sametime and in the same way each day. Let your doctor know if your condition doesnot improve or if it gets worse. Do not suddenly stop this treatment withoutthe consent of your doctor.
Whatare the side effects of Ranitidine HCL?
Common side effects:
- Stomach pain or discomfort
- Muscle pain
- Sleep problems or nausea
Call your doctor right away andstop using this drug if these serious side effects occur:
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)
- Dark urine
- Loss of appetite
- Fast or slow heart rate
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Problems with your skin or hair
- Chills or fever
- Cough with mucus
- Chest pain
- Feeling short of breath
If you have signs of an allergicreaction, call your doctor right away:
- Hives or itching
- Swelling of your lips, face, throat, or tongue
- Trouble breathing
- Before taking Ranitidine HCL, let your doctor knowif you have any medical history such as liver or kidney problems and any otherstomach problems.
- Tell as well if you ever had an allergic reactionto this drug. This may contain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergicreaction.
- Do not use this product in children younger than12 unless it is directed by your doctor. Older adults may also be moresensitive to the side effects of this medication.
- During pregnancy, this should only be used ifneeded. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor. Tell your doctor ifyou are pregnant before using Ranitidine HCL.
- If you missed a dose, take it as soon as youremember it. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose andcontinue your regular dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to make up forthe missed dose.
- If you are breastfeeding women, consult yourdoctor first. If you get pregnant or planning to become pregnant while havingthis medication, call your doctor right away.
- Using this medicine may increase your risk ofdeveloping pneumonia. Symptoms may be fever, chest pain, or coughing up greenor yellow mucus. Talk to your doctor about your specific risk of developingpneumonia.
- Do not share this with others even if they havethe same symptoms as yours.
- If there are signs of an overdose, call formedical emergency help right away.
- Let your doctor know about all the medication youare taking including the vitamins or herbal supplements. You should not start anew medication without telling your doctor.
- Keep this drug far from the reach of children.