If you are taking care of yourself or for others at home wi...
Pramipexole is a prescriptionused for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease. It is a neurodegenerativedisorder that leads to progressive deterioration of motor function. It is dueto the loss of dopamine-producing brain cells. In the early stages, your facemay show little or no expression. Your arms may not swing when you walk. Your speechmay also become slurred or soft. Parkinson’s disease signs and symptoms can be differentfor everyone. Early signs may be mild and go unnoticed. Symptoms often begin onone side of your body. Usually, it remains worse on that side even after symptomsbegin to affect both sides. The 3 main symptoms of this disease are:
- Slow movement
- Involuntarily shaking of particular parts of thebody
- Stiff and inflexible muscles
A person with Parkinson’s diseasecan also experience a wide range of other physical and psychological symptomssuch as:
- Balance problems
- Depression and anxiety
- Problems sleeping or insomnia
- Loss of sense of smell
- Memory problems
Pramipexole is a dopamine agonistthat helps restore the balance of certain natural substances in the brain. Thatit improves your ability to move and can lessen shakiness or tremor. It also decreasesslowed movement, stiffness, and unsteadiness. Pramipexole can as well reducethe number of episodes of not being able to move. This is a prescriptionalready approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This is supplied astablets for oral use. This product is available in the dosage forms of 0.125mg, 0.25 mg, 0.5 mg, 0.75 mg, 1 mg, and 1.5 mg. Each tablet contains Pramipexoleas an active ingredient. It is a white to off-white powder substance that ispractically insoluble in dichloromethane. It is also soluble in water andmethanol.
Howdoes Pramipexole work?
Pramipexole works by imitatingthe activity of a substance in the brain called dopamine. Dopamine is a substanceknown as aneurotransmitter. Neurotransmitters are present in the brain and nervous systemand are involved in transmitting messages between nerves. These messages allowthe normal functioning of the body. The neurotransmitter dopamine is known tobe reduced or absent in the brains of people with Parkinson’s disease. This isthought to be the cause of disease symptoms. Dopamine normally transmits messages bystimulating specific receptor sites in the brain. This drug stimulates these samereceptor sites. This produces the same effects as dopamine and acts as a dopaminesubstitute. In this way, Pramipexole helps to restore the dopamine activity inthe brain. In which it helps decrease the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
Howto use Pramipexole?
The recommended dosage is basedon your medical condition, age, and response to the treatment. Your doctor maydirect you to start at a lower dose and eventually increase it. You should takethe right dose, not more or less. Remember to take it at the same time and inthe same way each day. Do not suddenly stop taking this medication without theconsent of your doctor. It may cause another complication or may worsen yourcurrent condition. For the best benefit from this product, take it regularly.
Pramipexole is to be taken bymouth with a full glass of water usually once a day. You may take each dosewith or without a meal. Taking this medicine with a meal may decrease nausea. Thismedication may take 2 to 6 weeks to start taking an effect. Swallow the tabletas a whole. Do not break, chew, or crush it. Drink plenty of fluids whilehaving this medication. Doing so may lessen the risk of certain side effects. Ifyou missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. If it is almost time foryour next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule.Do not double the dose to make up for the missed dose. Let your doctor know ifyour condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
Whatare the side effects of Pramipexole?
Common side effects:
- Dizziness when standing
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
- Spinning sensation
- Appetite or weight changes
- Swelling in your hands and feet
- Sleep problems
- Blurred vision
- Forgetfulness, confusion, or thinking problems
- Memory problems
- Swelling in your hands or feet
- Trouble having an orgasm
Call your doctor right away ifyou experience these:
- A light-headed feeling like you might pass out
- Extreme drowsiness or falling sleep even afterfeeling alert
- Unexplained muscle pain, weakness, or tenderness
- Vision problems
- Tremors, twitching, or uncontrollable muscle movements
- Posture changes you cannot control (involuntarily bendingforward of your neck or tilting sideways when you sit, stand, or walk)
Get medical help right away ifyou have these signs of an allergic reaction:
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, and throat
- This medication may occasionally cause your bloodpressure to drop when you move from lying down when you first take this drug.
- This can cause sleepiness and on rare occasions,people have experienced a sudden onset of sleep during their daily activities. Peoplewho have experienced sleepiness or an episode of sudden onset sleep while havingthis drug should not drive or use any machinery.
- Changes in behavior, increase sex drive,compulsive shopping, and binge eating have been reported in people having this medication.
- Pramipexole is not recommended in people with heartdisease.
- This should be used with caution in people with decreasedkidney function, psychotic illness, and severe disease involving the heart andblood vessels.
- During pregnancy and breastfeeding, this drug shouldnot be used.
- Do not share this prescription with others even ifthey have the same symptoms as yours.
- Before using, tell your doctor if you have any medicalhistory such as low blood pressure, heart problems, kidney problems, and sleepdisorder.
- Inform your doctor if you have current medicationsincluding herbal supplements or vitamins.
- You should not take a dose of this drug if you areallergic to it. Let your doctor know right away before using Pramipexole.
- Keep this drug at room temperature.