Where it is used and how it works?Tetrabenazineis used...
Pemetrexed is a prescription usedfor the treatment of lung cancer and mesothelioma.
Lung cancer is a type of cancer that begins in the lungs. Your lungs are two spongy organs in your chest that take in oxygen when you inhale and release carbon dioxide when you exhale. People who smoke have the greatest risk of lung cancer, though lung cancer can also occur in people who have never smoked. The risk of lung cancer increases with the length of time and the number of cigarettes you’ve smoked. If you quit smoking even after smoking for many years, you can significantly reduce your chances of developing lung cancer. Lung cancer typically doesn’t cause signs and symptoms in its earliest stages. Signs and symptoms of lung cancer may include:
- Coughing upblood, even a small amount
- A new coughthat doesn’t go away
- Shortness ofbreath
- Chest pain
- Bone pain
- Losingweight without trying
Mesothelioma is a type of cancer that occurs in the thin layer of tissue that covers the majority of your internal organs called mesothelium. It is an aggressive and deadly form of cancer. Signs and symptoms of mesothelioma vary depending on where cancer occurs such as:
- Shortness of breath
- Dry cough or wheezing
- Pain in the chest orabdomen
- Pleural effusion (fluidaround the lungs)
- Fever or night sweats
- Muscle weakness
Pemetrexed is a type of chemotherapy medicine for cancer called cytotoxic antimetabolite. Antimetabolites are very similar to normal substances within the cell. When the cells incorporate substances like Pemetrexed into themselves during growth, the cells lose the ability to divide. These are cell-cycle specific meaning; they act of the cells at very specific phases in the cells’ replication cycle. Pemetrexed is a sterile white-to-light yellow or green-yellow lyophilized powder in single-dose vials. Each 100 mg and 500 mg vial contains Pemetrexed as an active ingredient. This medication is available for intravenous infusion. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How does Pemetrexed work?
Cancers form when some cells within the body multiply uncontrollably andabnormally. These cells then spread and destroy nearby tissues. Pemetrexedworks by stopping the cancer cells from multiplying and dividing. It does thisby disturbing the production of RNA and DNA, the genetic material of cells.Both RNA and DNA are needed for cells to grow, repair themselves and multiply.As Pemetrexed causes problems with the production of RNA and DNA in the cancercells, it kills the cancer cells and stops cancer growth.
Pemetrexed may also affect normal and healthy cells particularly those thatmultiply quickly such as blood cells. The most important side effect is on thebone marrow where blood cells are made. Pemetrexed can decrease the productionof blood cells, leaving people susceptible to infection. Regular blood testsare therefore needed to monitor levels of blood cells.
How to use Pemetrexed?
The dosage will depend on your medical condition, age, weight, and response to the treatment. Your doctor may direct you to start at a low dose and gradually increase it. Follow the instructions of your doctor very carefully. You should not take the medication more or less than it is prescribed. Before using this product, check it visually for particles or discoloration. If either is present, do not use the liquid. Clean the injection with rubbing alcohol before injecting each dose. Learn how to store and discard medical supplies safely. To get the most benefit from it, use the medication regularly. Remember to use the prescription at the same time each day. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
This prescription is given by injectioninto a vein. It is given over 10 minutes as directed by your doctor usuallyonce every 3 weeks. If you missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it.If it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue yourregular dosing schedule. Do not take twice the prescribed dosage to make up forthe missed dose.
What are the side effects of Pemetrexed?
Common side effects:
- Stomach upset
- Loss of appetite
- Tired feeling
- Rash or itching
- Hair loss
Tell your doctor if you have serious side effects of this drug including:
- Changes in the amount of urine
- Fast or pounding heartbeat
- Yellowing eyes or skin
- Dark urine
- Severe stomach or abdominal pain
- Sore throat
- Redness, pain, swelling of arms or feet
- Mental or mood changes
- Painful or difficulty swallowing
- Numbness or tingling of the hands or feet
- Easy bruising or bleeding
Get emergency medical help if youexperience any signs of an allergic reaction:
- Difficulty or trouble breathing
- Swelling of your lips, face, throat, or tongue
Warnings and Precautions
- Before taking Pemetrexed, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. This may not be recommended for use if you have a history of an allergic reaction. Tell as well if you have any allergies. This drug may contain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- You may experience infusion-related reactions while having this treatment. These are usually mild to moderate but can be more severe.
- This drug has been associated with causing heart failure. For this reason, your heart function will be checked before treatment is started and regularly throughout your treatment.
- As medicine may be harmful to an unborn baby, women who could get pregnant should use effective contraception. It is to prevent pregnancy both during treatment and for at least 6 months after treatment is finished.
- Before starting this treatment, discuss with your doctor about fertility. Your ability to become pregnant or father a child may be affected.
- Consult your doctor first if you are breastfeeding women.
- This prescription should be used with caution in people with decreased kidney function, those who have a history of heart disease, and diabetes.
- You should also use this with caution in people who have previously had or who will be having radiotherapy or on people on a controlled sodium diet.
- Do not have any immunizations or vaccinations without the consent of your doctor.
- Keep this far from heat, moisture, and reach of children.