Pemetrexed is a prescription usedfor the treatment of lung...
Octreotide Acetate is used forthe treatment of severe watery diarrhea and sudden reddening of the face andneck. Wherein, it is caused by certain types of tumors:
- Vasoactive intestinal peptide tumors
- Carcinoid tumors
These are usually found in theintestines and pancreas. The symptoms occur when these tumors make too much ofcertain natural substances called hormones.
This prescription is alsoindicated for use in:
- Preventing complications following surgery on thepancreas
- Emergency treatment to stop bleeding and preventre-bleeding from varicose veins in the esophagus in people with liver cirrhosis
This medication may as well beused to treat acromegaly. It usually occurs when the body makes too much of acertain natural substance called growth hormone. Acromegaly causes your bonesto increase in size including those of your hands, face, and feet. This usuallyaffects middle-aged adults. Treating this condition helps reduce the risk ofserious problems such as heart disease or diabetes. This drug is not a cure forthese conditions. This is usually used with other treatments such as radiation,surgery, or other drugs.
Octreotide Acetate is a type ofmedicine called somatostatin analog. It is similar to a naturally-occurringhormone in the body called somatostatin. It is produced in various parts of thebody including gut, brain, and pancreas. Its function is to stop the release ofcertain other hormones such as insulin and growth hormone. This is available ina vial containing the sterile product. In which when mixed with diluent, itbecomes a suspension that is given as a monthly intragluteal injection. This issupplied as sterile 6 mL vials in 3 dosage strengths; 10 mg, 20 mg, and 30 mg. TheFood and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How does Octreotide Acetate work?
Octreotide Acetate mimics theaction of natural somatostatin. It lessens the production of these types ofhormones. This is used to relieve the symptoms of certain types of tumors. Most tumors develop in the organs of thedigestive system. They usually start in the cells of the stomach, intestines,and pancreas. These areas of the body produce various hormones and tumors thatgrow in these areas. It often caused too much of a certain hormone to beproduced. The type of hormone overproduced depends on the type of gland that isaffected by the tumor.
Carcinoid tumors are typicallyfound in the intestines. They may create unnecessary amounts of the hormoneserotonin. This medication also helps the hormone to be at its normal levels.
This drug decreases or blocks theproduction of the hormones that caused the disease. By decreasing waterydiarrhea, this medication helps to reduce the loss of body fluids and minerals.
How to use Octreotide Acetate?
Octreotide Acetate is to be givenby injection into your buttock muscle as directed by your doctor. It is usuallygiven once every 4 weeks. The dosage will depend on your medical condition,age, weight, and response to the treatment. To lessen the irritation, changethe location of the injection site in the buttocks with each dose. Avoid givingthis medication into the muscles of the arm. Doing so causes more pain andirritation.
Before using this product, checkit visually for particles or discoloration. If either is present, do not usethe liquid. Clean the injection with rubbing alcohol before injecting each dose.Learn how to store and discard medical supplies safely. Take this medicationout of the refrigerator 30 to 60 minutes before mixing. To get the most benefitfrom it, use the medication regularly. Do not take more or less or more oftenthan the prescribed length of time. Remember to use the prescription at thesame time each day. It may help to mark your calendar with a reminder such asevery 4 weeks. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or if itgets worse. This should be used very carefully in people with a slow heartbeat,a history of vitamin B12 deficiency, and liver cirrhosis.
What are the side effects of Octreotide Acetate?
Common side effects:
- Loose or oily stools
- Stomach pain or upset
Tell your doctor if you haveunlikely but serious side effects of this drug including:
- Numbness or tingling of the arms or legs
- Worsening heart condition symptoms (troublebreathing or slow/fast/irregular heartbeat
- Signs of gallbladder or liver problems (stomachpain, fever, severe nausea or vomiting, unexplained pain in the back or rightshoulder)
- Signs of underactive thyroid (unusual or extremetiredness, severe constipation, or unexplained weight gain)
Call for medical assistance ifthere are signs of an allergic reaction:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of your face, tongue, throat, or mouth
Warnings and Precautions
- Before starting this treatment, make sure you tellyour doctor about any other medications you are taking.
- Do not take aspirin or a product that containsaspirin unless your doctor specifically permits this.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or may bepregnant before starting this medication. As well as if you are breastfeedingwomen, consult your doctor first.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages while taking thismedication.
- You may experience dizziness or drowsiness. Avoiddriving or using any machinery that requires your alertness.
- Before using this, let your doctor know if youhave ever had diabetes, thyroid or gallbladder problems, and kidney or liverdisease.
- Caution is advised when using this medication inchildren. Use of this drug for a long period may slow the child’s growth rate. However,after treatment with the drug is stopped, the growth rate catches up.
- Call for medical help and stop taking the drug ifthere are any signs of an overdose.
- People receiving long-term treatment with thismedication should have their thyroid function and liver function regularlymonitored.
- Women who need treatment with this prescriptionshould use an effective method of contraception to prevent pregnancy. This isimportant for women with acromegaly, as this drug can restore your fertility asit restores your hormone levels.