Favipiravir is an influenza drug which was approvedfor cli...
Naltrexone Hydrochloride is an opiate antagonistthat is used to prevent people who have been dependent on opioid drugs. An opioidis a drug that works in the brain to create a variety of effects. It includesthe relief of pain. Opioids can be medications frequently referred to aspainkillers. They can also be called street drugs such as heroin. Several remedyopioids are used to block pain signals between the body and the brain. Theseare typically prescribed to treat moderate to severe pain. Moreover, opioidscan make some people feel high or happy, relaxed, and can be addictive.
Opioids work by attaching to proteins called opioidreceptors. These are present on nerve cells in the spinal cord, brain, gut, andother parts of the body. If this occurs, through the spinal cord to the brain, theopioids block pain messages sent from the body. While they can effectivelyrelieve pain, opioids carry some risks and can be highly addictive. The risk ofaddiction is especially high when opioids are used to manage chronic pain overa long period.
This medication may also be used for the treatmentof alcohol abuse. This can help people drink less alcohol or stop drinkingaltogether. Naltrexone Hydrochloride lessens as well the desire to drinkalcohol when used with a treatment program that includes support, counseling,and lifestyle changes. People who are experiencing alcohol abuse are thosedrinking causes harm and distress. Alcohol abuse can range from mild to severedepending on the symptoms. This condition causes;
- Lossof control – which is not being able to stop drinking once you’ve started
- Craving– the strong need to drink
- Negativeemotional state – feeling irritable and anxious when you are not drinking
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has alreadyapproved this medication. Naltrexone Hydrochlorideis the active ingredient of this product. It is a whitecrystalline compound that is soluble in water. This is supplied as a tablet fororal use. Each tablet is available in the dosage form of 50 mg.
Howdoes Naltrexone Hydrochloride work?
This drug blocks opioid receptors in the brain. Thismeans that if you take an opioid while you are taking this drug, it won’t beable to stimulate the opioid receptors. It won’t also have any effects. Whileyou are taking this medication, opioids will no longer give you the high youpreviously got by using them. Although the physical craving for the opioid willhave gone after going through detoxification, the psychological craving usuallylasts for longer. Naltrexone Hydrochloride does not stop this it just stops youfrom getting a high from the drug if you should give in to the craving. NaltrexoneHydrochloride must be used in combination with other forms of therapy and goodsocial and psychological support. It is to help you remain drug-free.
Howto use Naltrexone Hydrochloride?
This drug is to be taken by mouth usually 50milligrams once a day. Take it with or without food as directed by your doctor.Each tablet is to be swallowed as a whole with a full glass of water. Therecommended dosage is given depending on your medical condition and response. Yourdoctor may start you at a lower dose and monitor you for nu side effects orwithdrawal symptoms. This medication is taken as directed. Do not increase yourdose, take it more often, or stop taking it without the approval of your doctor.To help you remember, take it at the same time each day. Use this medicationregularly to get the most benefit from it. Let your doctor know if you startusing drugs or alcohol again.
Drink lots of fluids while having this medication.Doing so may lessen the risk of certain side effects. If you missed a dose,take it as soon as you remember it. If it is almost time for your next dose,skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not doublethe dose to make up for the missed dose. Let your doctor know if your conditiondoes not improve or if it gets worse.
Whatare the side effects of Naltrexone Hydrochloride?
Common side effects:
- Sleepproblems or insomnia
- Muscleor joint aches
- Decreasedsex drive
- Difficultyhaving an orgasm
Tell your doctor if you have these serious sideeffects:
- Nauseaor vomiting
- Abdominalor stomach cramps
- Bone,joint, or muscle aches
- Mood/mentalchanges (visual hallucinations, confusion, anxiety, extreme sleepiness)
- Liverproblems (loss of appetite, nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, tired feeling,dark urine, jaundice, clay-colored stools)
Thingsto remember while having this treatment:
- Thisdrug may sometimes cause drowsiness that may affect your ability to drive oroperate machinery safely. Make sure that this medicine affects you beforedriving or operating a machine.
- Youmust not attempt to overcome the opioid blockage caused by this medicine bytaking high doses of an opioid. This may potentially result in alife-threatening opioid overdose.
- Usethis drug with caution in people with decreased liver or kidney function.
- Thisshould not be used in people who are currently dependent on opioids andcurrently taking opioid-containing drugs. As well as people with acuteinflammation of the liver, severe kidney failure, and those with hereditarygalactose intolerance, this drug should not be used.
- Thisis to be used carefully in women who are pregnant and only if the potentialbenefits outweigh any risk of developing a baby. If you think you could bepregnant while having this medication, you should consult your doctor rightaway.
- Youshould get advice from your doctor before breastfeeding. This drug may passinto breast milk.
- Tellyour doctor if you have current medications including herbal supplements orvitamins.
- Avoidalcoholic beverages while having this product.
- Donot take this if you ever had an allergic reaction or if you are allergic tothis drug.
- Keepthis at room temperature far from the reach of children.