Where is Norethindrone used?Norethindrone is a man-made...
Where it is used and how does it work?
Indomethacinis used in adults to relieve pain and inflammation in a wide range ofconditions including:
This isthe most common form of arthritis which affects millions of people. It happenswhen the defensive cartilage that cushions the ends of your bones wears downover time. Although this condition can damage any joint, it most commonlyaffects joints in your knees, hands, hips, and spine. The symptoms of thiscondition can usually be managed, though the damage to joints can’t bereversed. Keeping a good weight, staying active, and some treatments might slowthe progression of the disease. It may as well help improve pain and jointfunction. Osteoarthritis symptoms frequently progress slowly and get worse overtime.
- Rheumatoid arthritis
This is achronic inflammatory disorder that can affect more than just your joints. Insome people, the condition can damage a wide variety of body systems (eyes,skin, lungs, heart or blood vessels). An autoimmune disorder, rheumatoidarthritis happens when your immune system mistakenly attacks your own body’stissues. Not like the tear-and-wear impairment of osteoarthritis, rheumatoidarthritis affects the lining of your joints that causes painful swelling. Thatit can eventually result in bone erosion and joint deformity.
- Acute gout
Thiscondition is characterized by sudden and severe attacks of pain, swelling, andtenderness in the joints. An attack of gout can happen suddenly. It may bewaking you up in the middle of the night with the sensation that your big toeis on fire. The affected joint is swollen and hot. It is so tender as well thateven the weight of the sheet on it may seem intolerable. Gout symptoms may comeand go. But, there are ways to manage symptoms and prevent flares.
Arecramping pains on the lower abdomen. Many women experience menstrual crampsjust before and during their menstrual periods. For some women, the discomfortis merely annoying. For others, menstrual cramps can be severe enough tointerfere with everyday activities for a few days every month.
The Foodand Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this prescription. This drugis known as a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). This blocks yourbody’s production of certain natural substances that cause inflammation. Theeffect of Indomethacin helps to decrease swelling and pain.
Indomethacinblocks the action of a substance in the body called cyclo-oxygenase (COX). COXis involved in the production of various chemicals in the body. Some of whichare known as prostaglandins. These are produced by the body in response toinjury and certain diseases and conditions. It causes inflammation, pain, andswelling. Indomethacin blocks the creation of these prostaglandins and as aresult, this is effective at decreasing pain and inflammation.
Indomethacinprovides prolonged pain relief so this is to be taken exactly as directed byyour doctor. The capsules must be swallowed whole to avoid damaging themodified-release action.
How totake the medication?
This isto be taken by mouth usually 2 to 3 times a day or as directed by your doctor.Swallow the capsule as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not break, chew,or crush it. Do not lie down for at least 10 minutes after taking this drug. Ifstomach upset happen, take it with food, antacid, or milk. The dosage is basedon your medical condition and response to the treatment. To lessen the risk ofstomach bleeding and other side effects, take this at the lowest effective dosefor the shortest possible time. Do not increase your dose or use this drug moreoften or for longer than the prescription. Remember to take this prescriptionin the same way and at the same time each day.
Before you notice the full benefits, it may take up to 4 weeks when this drug is taken regularly in certain conditions. If you are taking this drug on an ‘as needed’ basis, remember that pain medications work best if they are used as the first signs of pain occur. If you wait until the pain has worsened, the medication may not work as well. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve. If you missed a dose, call your doctor for instructions. Do not twice the dosage to make up for the missed dose.
Commonand Serious Side Effects
- Hot flashes
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling or edema
Call formedical help if you experience signs of an allergic reaction including:
- Difficulty or trouble breathing
- Swelling in your lips, throat, face, or mouth
- Indomethacin may cause dizziness that may affect your capacity to operate machinery or drive safely. Do not operate machinery or drive until you know how this medicine affects you and you are sure it won’t affect your performance.
- The lowest effective dose of this medicine will be given by your doctor. It may be for the shortest possible time needed to relieve your symptoms. This is to minimize the chances of any side effects. It is important not to exceed the prescribed dose.
- Certain medicines should not be used during breastfeeding or pregnancy. However, other medicines may be safely used in breastfeeding or pregnancy providing the benefits to the mother outweighs the risks to the unborn baby. Inform your doctor if you are planning a pregnancy or pregnant, before using any medication.
- Let your doctor if you ever had an allergic reaction to this drug. Tell as well if you have any allergies. This medication may contain an ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- Use this with caution in people with a history of disorders that affects the stomach, who have inflammatory bowel disease, decreased kidney or liver function, heart failure, or high blood pressure.
- People with a history of stroke, heart disease, poor blood circulation in the arteries of the legs, high cholesterol levels, diabetes, or smoker, this prescription should as well be sued carefully.
- Indomethacin is not recommended for use in children, people with nasal polyps, active peptic ulcers, severe kidney or liver failure, severe heart failure, or in people who are allergic to aspirin.