If you are taking care of yourself or for others at home wi...
What isHydrocodone Bitartrate and how does it work?
HydrocodoneBitartrate is an opioid analgesic used to help relieve mild to moderate pain.Opioid analgesics lessen pain transmission to the brain by activating thedescending nerve fibers from the periaqueductal gray. It is within the midbrainand raphe nuclei within the medulla that controls the endogenous opioid thathas the dorsal horn of the spinal cord. Opioids directly inhibit afferent nervetransmission by binding to mu-opioid receptors presynaptically andpostsynaptically within the dorsal horn of the spinal cord. As a result ofthese mechanisms, the ascending pathways for pain stimuli are inhibited andpain relief is provided to the patient.
The Foodand Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this prescription.Hydrocodone Bitartrate comes as an extended-release capsule for oral use. Ithas the dosage strengths of 10 mg, 15 mg, 20 mg, 30 mg, 40 mg, and 50 mg.
How touse Hydrocodone Bitartrate?
Take thismedication on a regular schedule as directed by your doctor. HydrocodoneBitartrate is to be taken by mouth usually every 12 hours. Each dose may betaken with or without food. If you have nausea, it may help to take thismedicine with food. Swallow the capsule as a whole without breaking, chewing,or crushing it. Doing so may release the entire drug at once which increasesthe risk of side effects.
Thedosage is based on your medical condition and response. You should not use thisdrug more often or increase your dose than prescribed. Your condition will notimprove and your risk of side effects will increase. Pain medications work bestif they are used as the first signs of pain occur. If you wait until the paingets worse, the medicine may not work as well. When this is used for a longtime, it may not work as well. Talk with your doctor if this drug stops workingwell.
What arethe side effects of Hydrocodone Bitartrate?
- Stomach upset
Sideeffects that need the attention of your doctor:
- Breathing problems
- Yellowing of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Stomach pain
- Feeling faint or light-headedness
- Signs of allergic reactions (swelling of your face, hives, or itching)
Thingsyou should watch while having Hydrocodone Bitartrate:
- You may get dizzy or drowsy when you first take this drug. Do not use machinery, drive, or perform activities that may be hazardous until you know how this drug affects you.
- There are different types of pain medicine. If you take one type at the same time, you may have more side effects. Give your doctor or healthcare provider a list of all medicines you use. Your doctor will direct you on how much medicine to take. Do not take more medicine than prescribed. Call for medical help right away if you have signs of overdose.
- This drug will cause constipation. Try to have a bowel movement at least every 2-3 days if you do not have a bowel movement for 3 days, call your doctor immediately.
- It is not recommended to take medicines that contain Acetaminophen along with this drug. Excess intake of Acetaminophen can be very unsafe.