What isSertraline HCL and where it is used?Sertraline...
Darunavir-Cobicistat is acombined medication used to control HIV infection. This is used with other HIVmedications to help control the infection. This helps to lessen the amount ofHIV in your body so your immune system can work better. This also lowers yourchance of getting HIV complications and improves your quality of life.
HIV is a virus that damages yourimmune system. The immune system helps the body fight off infections. HIV istransmitted through bodily fluids that include:
- Breast milk
- Vaginal and rectal fluids
Without medication, it may takeyears before HIV weakens your immune system to the point that you have AIDS. AIDSis a potentially life-threatening condition caused by HIV. By damaging yourimmune system, HIV interferes with your body’s ability to fight the organismsthat cause the disease. Most people infected by this disease develop a flu-likeillness within a month or two. It is after the virus enters the body. Thisillness is known as primary or acute HIV infection that lasts for a few weeks.Possible signs and symptoms may include:
- Muscle aches and joint pain
- Swollen lymph glands mainly on the neck
- Sore throat and painful mouth sores
Darunavir-Cobicistat is aprescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This issupplied as a tablet for oral use with an active ingredient of Darunavir and Cobicistat.Each tablet contains an equivalent of 800 mg Darunavir and 150 mg Cobicistat. Darunaviris in the class of medications called protease inhibitors. Cobicistat is a typeof drug called pharmacokinetic enhancer that is used to increase or boost thelevels of Darunavir.
Howdoes Darunavir-Cobicistat work?
AIDS iscaused by infection with HIV. This virus invades cells of the immune systemparticularly the white blood cells called CD4 T-helper lymphocytes. Thesenormally activate other cells in the immune system to fight infection. SinceHIV kills CD4 T-helper cells, the body cannot fight the virus or subsequentinfections. Once the virus is inside CD4 T-cell, it multiplies and produces numerouscopies of itself. An enzyme produced by the HIV virus called protease plays animportant role in the process. Proteasebreaks up new protein produced by the virus so that new copies of the virus canbe assembled from the pieces. If this enzyme is stopped from working, any newvirus that is produced is faulty and unable to infect more CD4 cells. Proteaseinhibitors like Darunavir work by stopping the protease enzyme from working.
Cobicistat slows the breakdown ofDarunavir by the liver which makes it stayin the body for longer. This boosts the level of Darunavir in the blood and itseffects against the virus. This medication helps the immune system to recover.Therefore, it slows down or stops the progression of the disease from HIV toAIDS.
Howto use Darunavir-Cobicistat?
Darunavir-Cobicistat is usuallytaken once a day as directed by your doctor. It is to be taken by mouth withfood as directed by your doctor. The prescribed dosage for this medication isbased on your medical condition and response to the treatment. It is veryimportant to continue taking this medication exactly as prescribed by yourdoctor. Do not skip any doses. If you missed a dose, take it as soon as youremember it. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose andcontinue your regular dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to make up forthe missed dose. You should not take less or more often than the prescription.Your doctor may direct you to start at a lower dose and gradually increase it. Donot suddenly stop taking Darunavir-Cobicistat without the consent of yourdoctor. To help you remember, take it at the same time and in the same way eachday. Swallow the tablet as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not break,chew, or crush it. Drink plenty of fluids while having this medication. Doingso may lessen the risk of certain side effects. Let your doctor know if yourcondition gets worse or if it does not improve.
Whatare the side effects of Darunavir-Cobicistat?
Common side effects:
- Abdominal pain
- Changes in body fat distribution
- Feeling sick
- Loss of appetite
- Abnormal dreams
- Dark urine
- Loss of consciousness
- Rapid weight gain
- Muscle soreness
- Stomach upset
Call for emergency medical helpif you have signs of an allergic reaction such as:
- Hives or itching
- Trouble breathing or shortness of breath
- Swelling of your lips, face, tongue, or throat
- Follow carefully the instructions of your doctorwhile taking anti-HIV medicines in order to maintain effective levels of the drugsin your blood. If the blood levels of the medicines drop, the virus will begiven more chance to replicated and develop resistance to the drugs. Skippingeven a few doses increases the risk of treatment failure.
- You may experience an increased level of sugar infats in your blood while having this medication.
- While you are having this treatment, you will needto have regular blood tests to monitor your liver function. Consult your doctorif you experience symptoms such as abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, loss ofappetite, or dark urine.
- This medication should not be used in people withseverely decreased liver function or people having kidney dialysis.
- Darunavir-Cobicistat is not recommended to use ifyou are allergic to it or if you ever had an allergic reaction to it. Tell toyour doctor if you have any allergies before taking this drug.
- This product should be used with caution in peopleover 65 years of age. Also, use this carefully in people with mild tomoderately decreased liver function, liver disorders, blood clotting disorder,and those with diabetes.
- The safety and effectiveness of this drug have notbeen studied in children and adolescents under 18 years of age. Therefore, thisis not recommended for use, in this age group.