General Information Nimodipine is called a calcium chann...
Entacapone General Information
Comtan (Entacapone) is used for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease. This is used with other medication like carbidopa and levodopa to treat such a condition. Parkinson’s disease is a progressive nervous system disorder that affects the movement. A symptom begins slowly, sometimes starting with a barely noticeable tremor in just one hand. Tremors are corporate but the disorder also commonly causes the slowing of movement.
How does Comtan (Entacapone)?
Comtan (Entacapone) is an enzyme that usually breaks down excess dopamine in the brain. As Parkinson’s disease patients have a reduction in dopamine, blocking the action of this enzyme can result in dopamine levels to increase. This effect lets the levodopa to last longer in the system so that it does not wear off before the next prescription.
Why use Comtan (Entacapone)?
Comtan (Entacapone) is a catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitor. It is a member of the class of nitrocatechols. This is available as tablets containing 200mg of Entacapone. In 1999, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved this treatment.
How to use Comtan (Entacapone)?
The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to the treatment. You may take this drug with or without food. Take it by mouth with a full glass of water. It is usually prescribed carbidopa or levodopa up to 8 times daily. Follow all the prescription of your doctor very carefully. Take it regularly or at the same time each day. To avoid some complications, do not take twice the prescribed dosage.
What are the side-effects of Comtan (Entacapone)?
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
- Uncontrolled muscle movements
Call your doctor right away if these happen:
- Severe or on-going diarrhea
- Unusual thoughts or behavior
- Agitation or confusion
- Very stiff or rigid muscles
- High fever
- Unexplained muscle weakness, pain, or tenderness mainly if you also have unusual tiredness, fever, and dark colored urine
Warnings and Precautions
- Before taking Comtan (Entacapone), tell your doctor if you have any allergies, medical history, or current treatments.
- Talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of this medicine.
- If there is an overdose, call for medical help right away.
- You should not share this or any of your medication with others who have the same symptoms as yours.
- This medication should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy.
- Consult your doctor if you are breastfeeding women.
- Keep this away from heat, moisture, and away from the reach of children.