Where is Tacrolimus used?Tacrolimus is a prescription m...
Colesevelam Hydrochloride is used to treat primary hypercholesterolemia. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
Cholesterol is a waxy substance found in your blood. Yourbody needs cholesterol to build healthy cells. But, high levels of cholesterolcan increase your risk of heart disease.
With high cholesterol, you can develop fatty deposits inyour blood vessels. Eventually, these deposits grow, making it difficult forenough blood to flow through your arteries. Sometimes, those deposits can breaksuddenly and form a clot that causes a heart attack or stroke. Cholesterol iscarried through your blood and attached to proteins. This combination ofproteins and cholesterol is called a lipoprotein. There are different types ofcholesterol, based on what the lipoprotein carries. A lipid profile alsotypically measures triglycerides, a type of fat in the blood. Having a hightriglyceride level can also increase your risk of heart disease. Factors you cancontrol such as obesity, inactivity, and an unhealthy diet. It contribute tohigh cholesterol and low HDL cholesterol. Factors beyond your control mightplay a role as well. Your genetic makeup might keep cells from removing LDLcholesterol from your blood efficiently or cause your liver to produce too muchcholesterol.
The same heart-healthy lifestyle changes that can lower yourcholesterol can help prevent you from having high cholesterol in the firstplace. To help prevent high cholesterol, you can:
• Limit the amount of animal fats and use good fats inmoderation
• Eat a low-salt diet that emphasizes fruits, vegetables andwhole grains
• Manage stress
• Lose extra pounds and maintain a healthy weight
• Exercise on most days of the week for at least 30 minutes
• Quit smoking
• Drink alcohol in moderation
Lifestyle changes such as exercising and eating a healthydiet are the first line of defense against high cholesterol. But, if you’vemade these important lifestyle changes and your cholesterol levels remain high,your doctor might recommend medication. The choice of medication or combinationof medications depends on various factors, including your personal riskfactors, your health and possible drug side effects. Common choices include:
• Statins – it blocks a substance your liver that needs tomake cholesterol. This causes your liver to remove cholesterol from your blood.Statins can also help your body reabsorb cholesterol from built-up deposits onyour artery walls, potentially reversing coronary artery disease.
• Bile-acid-binding resins – your liver uses cholesterol tomake bile acids, a substance needed for digestion. There are certainmedications that lowers cholesterol indirectly by binding to bile acids. Thisprompts your liver to use excess cholesterol to make more bile acids, whichreduces the level of cholesterol in your blood.
• Cholesterol absorption inhibitors – your small intestineabsorbs the cholesterol from your diet and releases it into your bloodstream.There is a certain drug that helps reduce blood cholesterol by limiting theabsorption of dietary cholesterol. It can be used with a statin drug.
How does Colesevelam Hydrochloride work?
Colesevelam Hydrochloride is a type of medicine called abile acid sequestrant. It lowers blood cholesterol levels. This is not absorbedinto the bloodstream. It works in the intestines, where it binds to bile acids.
Bile is a fluid that is produced by the liver. It isreleased into the intestine through the bile duct as part of digestion. Bilecontains substances called bile acids which the liver makes from cholesterol inthe blood. Bile acids aid the digestion of fats consumed in the diet. Followingdigestion, the bile acids are reabsorbed into the bloodstream and are thenreturned to the liver. Colesevelam Hydrochloride binds to the bile acids in theintestine and prevents them being reabsorbed into the bloodstream. Instead,they pass through the intestine with the Colesevelam and are excreted in thefaeces. This triggers the liver to produce more bile acids from the cholesterolin the blood, which lowers the level of cholesterol in the blood.
High cholesterol levels increase the risk of heart diseaseby clogging and narrowing the arteries. Colesevelam Hydrochloride is used tolower cholesterol levels and thus decreases the risk of hardening of thearteries and the problems this can cause. Medicines are used to lower highcholesterol levels when a low-cholesterol diet and exercise regime have notdone this sufficiently. However, it is important to continue to follow yourcholesterol-lowering diet while taking this medicine.
How to use Colesevelam Hydrochloride?
Take this medication as directed by your doctor. Drink afull glass of water with it unless your doctor tells you otherwise. Do not liedown for at least 10 minutes after taking this drug.
If stomach upset occurs while taking this medication, takeit with food, milk, or an antacid. The dosage is based on your medicalcondition and response to the treatment. The lowest effective dosage shouldalways be used and only for the prescribed length of time. Do not take more ofthis medication than prescribed. Use this medication regularly to get the mostbenefit from it. Remember to use it at the same time each day. If you missed adose, call your doctor for instructions. Do not double the dose to make up forthe missed dose. Tell your doctor if your condition does not improve or if itgets worse.
What are the side effects of Colesevelam Hydrochloride?
Common side effects:
• Upset stomach
• Feeling weak or tired
• Muscle pain
• Runny nose
• Sore throat
• Flu symptoms
Tell your doctor if you have unlikely but serious sideeffects of this drug such as:
• Trouble swallowing
• Unusual bleeding or bruising
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergicreaction including:
• Difficult breathing
• Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
Warnings and Precautions
• The safety of this medicine for use during pregnancy hasnot been established. The manufacturer states that it should be used withcaution in pregnancy.
• Use this drug with caution in people with liver failure, any swallowing disorder, with severe disorders of the stomach, or with inflammatory bowel disease.
• This is not recommended for use un people with blockage ofthe bile duct and blockage of the bowel.
• This should also not be used in children and adolescents.
• Let your doctor know if you have any allergies especiallyof this drug.