Where is Norethindrone used?Norethindrone is a man-made...
Clobazam is a prescription used to prevent seizures and treat severe anxiety for the short-term.
A seizureis an uncontrolled electrical disturbance in the brain. It may cause changes inyour behavior, feelings, or movements, and in levels of consciousness. Thistype of condition is more common than you might think. It can happen after astroke, an infection such as meningitis, or a closed head injury. Many types ofseizures can range in severity. The types may vary by where and how they beginin the brain. Most seizures may last from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. A seizure thattakes longer than 5 minutes is already an emergency. The signs and symptoms ofthis condition may range from mild to severe. It includes:
- A staring spell
- Temporary confusion
- Loss of consciousness or awareness
- Uncontrollable jerking movements of the arms and legs
- Cognitive or emotional symptoms such as anxiety, fear, or déjà vu
Anxietyis a normal and frequently healthy emotion. However, when a person regularlyfeels disproportionate levels of anxiety, it might become a medical disorder.This type of condition is characterized by feelings of worrying thoughts,tension, and physical changes. Here it includes an increase in blood pressure.The feelings of panic and anxiety interfere with daily activities. Several maybe difficult to control, out of proportion to the actual danger, and cansometimes last longer. You can evade places and situations to avoid thesefeelings. Symptoms may begin in childhood or the teen years and continue untiladulthood. Here are some common signs and symptoms of anxiety:
- Having a sense of impending danger, doom, or panic
- Feeling nervous, tense, or restless
- Breathing rapidly
- Having an increased heart rate
- Feeling weak or tired
- Having trouble sleeping
- Trouble concentrating or thinking about anything other than the present worry
Clobazam is in the family of medications called benzodiazepines. This acts on the brain and nerves to produce a calming effect. Controlling and reducing seizure lets you do more of your normal daily activities and lessens your risk of harm when you lose awareness. This also lessens your risk for a possibly life-threatening condition of frequent and repeated seizures. Clobazam is a prescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This is available in the dosage strengths of 5 mg, 10 mg, and 20 mg.
How doesClobazam work?
The brainand nerves are made up of many nerve cells that communicate with each otherthrough electrical signals. These signals must be carefully regulated for thebrain and nerves to function properly. When abnormally rapid and repetitiveelectrical signals are released in the brain, it becomes over-stimulated andnormal function is disturbed. This results in fits or seizures. Anxiety mayalso be related to the inappropriate stimulation of nerve cells in the brain.
Clobazamworks by acting on receptors in the brain called GABA receptors. This causesthe release of a neurotransmitter called GABA in the brain. Neurotransmittersare chemicals that are stored in nerve cells in the brain and nervous systemand are involved in transmitting messages between the nerve cells. GABA acts asa natural nerve-calming agent which helps keep the nerve activity in the brainin balance. It is involved in inducing sleepiness, decreasing anxiety, andrelaxing muscles. As Clobazam increases the activity of GABA in the brain, itincreases its calming effects. By calming nerve cells, Clobazam preventsexcessively rapid and repetitive firing of electrical signals. This stabilizesthe electrical nerve activity in the brain which helps to prevent fits.
How touse Clobazam?
Thismedication is to be taken by mouth usually once or twice a day as directed byyour doctor. You may take each dose with a full glass of water. If you aretaking this once a day, then take it at bedtime. If you are taking this individed doses, take the larger disease at bedtime. The recommended dose dependson your medical condition and response to the treatment.
For thebest benefit, use this medication regularly. Take it at the same time and inthe same way each day. Do not suddenly stop this prescription. If you suddenlystop it, you may have withdrawal symptoms. To help prevent withdrawal, yourdoctor may lower your dose slowly. Let your doctor know right away if you havewithdrawal. You must take this exactly as it is prescribed by yourdoctor.
What arethe side effects of Clobazam?
- Joint pain
- Changes in appetite
- Difficulty speaking or swallowing
- Problems with coordination
Call yourdoctor and stop using Clobazam if you have these side effects:
- Difficulty breathing
- Sores in your mouth
- Peeling or blistering skin
- Painful, difficult, or frequent urination
- This medicine causes muscle weakness, drowsiness, and impairs alertness and concentration. These effects may continue into the following day and may get worse by drinking alcohol. If you are affected you should avoid possibly hazardous tasks such as operating machinery or driving. Do not drink alcohol while taking Clobazam.
- Uncommon but possibly severe and serious skin reactions have been reported with this prescription. For this reason, you should tell your doctor right away if you notice a rash, any blistering or peeling of your skin, mostly if you have flu-like symptoms while taking this medicine. Your treatment may need to be stopped.
- This should be used with caution in people with decreased liver or kidney function, a disease that affects the airways or lungs, or those who have problems with muscle weakness.
- Clobazam is not recommended for use in people with a history of alcoholism or drug abuse, a condition called myasthenia gravies, severe breathing problems, sleep apnoea syndrome, or severely decreased liver function.
- Certain medicines should not be used during breastfeeding or pregnancy. However, other medicines may be safely used in breastfeeding or pregnancy providing the benefits to the mother outweighs the risks to the unborn baby. Let your doctor if you are planning a pregnancy or pregnant, before taking any medication.