Pemetrexed is a prescription usedfor the treatment of lung...
Clobazam is a prescription used to treat epilepsy in adults and children over six years of age. This is used in combination with other antiepileptic medicines. It is to help prevent various types of epileptic attacks. Epilepsy is a central nervous system disorder. In which the brain activity becomes abnormal that causes periods of unusual behavior, sensation, and sometimes loss of awareness. Because epilepsy is caused by abnormal activity in the brain, it can affect any process your brain coordinates. Seizure signs and symptoms may include:
- A staring spell
- Temporary confusion
- Uncontrollable jerking movements of the arms andlegs
- Psychic symptoms such as anxiety and fear
This medication may also be used for the short-term treatment of severe anxiety in adults. Wherein, it is disabling or causing the individual to unacceptable distress. Experiencing occasional anxiety is a normal part of life. Yet, people with anxiety disorders frequently have excessive, intense, and persistent worry and fear. Sometimes, this type of disorder involves repeated episodes of sudden feelings of intense anxiety and fear or panic attacks. Common anxiety signs and symptoms:
- Feeling weak or tired
- Having trouble sleeping
- Having difficulty controlling worry
- Feeling nervous, tense or restless
- Having a sense of impending danger, doom or panic
Clobazam is a type of medicine called benzodiazepine. Benzodiazepines are used for their sedative, anxiety-relieving, and muscle-relaxing effects. This type of drugs acts on nerve cells in the brain. This product is supplied as tablets for oral use. Each tablet contains Clobazam as an active ingredient. It is a white or almost white crystalline powder with a slightly bitter taste. It is also slightly soluble in water and sparingly soluble in ethanol. This is available in the dosage form of 10 mg and 20 mg. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication.
How does Clobazam work?
The brain and nerves are made upof many nerve cells. Through electrical signals, it communicates with eachother. These signals must be carefully regulated for the brain and nerves tofunction properly. When abnormally rapid and repetitive signals released in thebrain, it becomes over-stimulated and normal function is disturbed. Thisresults in fits or seizures. Anxiety may also be related to the inappropriatestimulation of nerve cells in the brain.
This drug works by acting onreceptors in the brain called GABA receptors. This causes the release of aneurotransmitter called GABA in the brain. Neurotransmitters are chemicals thatare stored in nerve cells in the brain and nervous system. These are alsoinvolved in transmitting messages between the nerve cells. GABA is aneurotransmitter that acts as a natural ‘nerve-calming’ agent. It helps keepthe nerve activity in the brain in balance. It is also involved in inducingsleepiness, decreasing anxiety, and relaxing muscles.
As Clobazam increases theactivity of GABA in the brain, it also increases its calming effects. Bycalming nerve cells, this drug prevents excessively rapid and repetitive firingof electrical signals. This stabilizes the electrical nerve activity in thebrain that helps to prevent fits. Its calming effects allow it to be used forthe short-term treatment of severe anxiety. This will also help with associatedsleeping problems.
How to use Clobazam?
The recommended dosage is basedon your medical condition, age, and response to the treatment. You must takethis prescription exactly as it is given by your doctor. Don’t forget to takeit at the same time and in the same way each day. For the best benefit fromthis drug, use this regularly. Do not take more often or less than the givenlength of time from your doctor.
Clobazam is usually taken once ortwice a day by mouth. You may take each dose with or without food or asdirected by your doctor. If you are taking this drug once daily, take it atbedtime. If you are taking it in divided doses, take the larger dose atbedtime. Swallow the tablet as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not chewor crush the tablet. Do not suddenly stop taking this medicine without theconsent of your doctor. It may worsen your condition or may cause anothercomplication.
Whatare the side effects of Clobazam?
Common side effects:
- Feeling tired
- Aggressive behavior
- Breathing problems
- Slurred speech
- Sleep problems or insomnia
- Painful urination
Call your doctor right away ifyou have:
- Severe drowsiness or feeling like you might passout
- Weak or shallow breathing
- Urinating less than usual or not at all
- Pain or burning when you urinate
- Fever, chills, or cough with yellow or green mucus
Get emergency medical help if youhave signs of an allergic reaction:
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of your lips, face, tongue, and throat
Warnings and Precautions
- Do not take this medication if you are allergic toit. This drug may contain some ingredients that cause an allergic reaction.
- Before taking, let your doctor know if you haveever had muscle disorders, liver disease, or glaucoma.
- This drug may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not useany machinery or do anything that needs your alertness.
- While having this treatment, avoid alcoholicbeverages. Alcohol may increase drug levels.
- This should only be used when needed during pregnancy.If you are breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first before taking a dose.
- Report any new or worsening symptoms to yourdoctor such as panic attacks, mood or behavior changes, trouble sleeping, or havethoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.
- This prescription should not be given to a childyounger than 2 years old.
- If you missed a dose, take it as soon as youremember it. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose andcontinue your regular dosing schedule.
- Tell your doctor if you have any other medicationssuch as vitamins or herbal supplements.
- Do not share this or any of your medications withothers even if they have the same symptoms as yours.