Where is Norethindrone used?Norethindrone is a man-made...
Cetirizine Hydrochloride is usedfor the treatment of allergies such as seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis.
Allergies are an exaggeratedimmune reaction to normally harmless substances known as allergens. When a susceptibleperson is first exposed to an allergen, an immune response is activated. There aretwo types of allergic rhinitis; seasonal and perennial. Seasonal occurs atspecific times of the year which is a reaction to airborne allergens (ragweed,tree and grass pollen). Perennial occurs year-round usually a reaction toindoor allergens such as mold, pet dander, or dust mites. Some of the symptomsof allergy may include:
- Runny nose with clear discharge
- Nasal or sinus congestion
- Itchy nose
- Postnasal drip
- Itchy, red, or watery eyes
- Difficulty breathing or wheezing
- Red or inflamed skin
This medication can also be used to treat hives. Hives are itchy and red welts that result from a skin reaction. The welts appear and fade repeatedly as the reaction runs its course. The condition is considered chronic hives if the welts appear for more than six weeks. It may recur frequently over months or years. Hives can be very uncomfortable and interfere with sleep and daily activities. Some signs and symptoms of hives may include:
- Bumps that vary in size
- Batches of red or skin-colored welts which canappear anywhere in the body
- Painful swelling of the lips, eyelids, and insidethe throat
Cetirizine Hydrochloride belongsto the family of medicines called antihistamines. This blocks a certain naturalsubstance that your body makes during an allergic reaction. This helps relieve allergysymptoms. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved thismedication. Cetirizine Hydrochloride comes as a sterile, colorless, clear,non-pyrogenic, and isotonic solution for intravenous injection. Each contains CetirizineHydrochloride as an active ingredient. This is available in the dosage form of 10mg/mL.
Howdoes Cetirizine Hydrochloride work?
CetirizineHydrochloride works by preventing theactions of histamine. It is a substance produced by the body when it reacts toa foreign substance such as pollen or pet fur. Histamine acts on histaminereceptors causing a chain reaction that result in allergic symptoms. Inallergic reactions like hay fever, histamine causes inflammation of the nose,eyes or airways. That it results in itchy, watery eyes, a runny, blocked oritchy nose and sneezing. In allergic skin reactions, histamine causes skininflammation, rashes, and itching.
This medication blocks histamine receptors and so stops the chain reaction that causes the symptoms of the allergy. It usually starts to work within half an hour to an hour after taking a dose.
Howto use Cetirizine Hydrochloride?
The dosage will depend on your medicalcondition, age, and response to the medication. Before using this product,check it visually for particles or discoloration. If either is present, do notuse the liquid. Clean the injection site with rubbing alcohol before injectingeach dose. Learn how to store and discard medical supplies safely. To get themost benefit from it, use the medication regularly. Remember to use theprescription at the same time each day.
Cetirizine Hydrochloride is givenby injection intravenously. This is usually given as directed by your doctor. Yourdoctor may start at a low dose and gradually increase it. You must take thismedication exactly as it is prescribed. Do not take more or less than it isgiven by your doctor. If you missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it.If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and follow yourregular schedule. Do not double the dose to make up for the missed dose. Tellyour doctor if your allergy symptoms do not improve, if your hives do not improveafter 3 days of treatment, and if it lasts for more than 6 weeks. Call for medicalhelp right away if your condition gets worse or if you think you have a seriousmedical problem.
Whatare the side effects of Cetirizine Hydrochloride?
Common side effects:
- Changes in taste
- Numbness and tingling
- Feeling hot
- Increased sweating
- Sore throat
- Excessive tiredness
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
Tell your doctor right away ifyou have any serious side effects such as:
- Difficulty urinating
A very serious allergic reactionto this drug is rare. However, call for a medical emergency if you notice anysymptoms of a serious allergic reaction such as:
- Swelling of the face, lips, throat, and tongue
- Trouble breathing
- Rash or itching
- Before taking Cetirizine Hydrochloride, let your doctorknow if you ever had an allergic reaction to this. This drug may contain an inactiveingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- Inform your doctor if you ever had any medical historyespecially of difficulty urinating, liver or kidney disease.
- This drug may make you drowsy. Alcohol can makeyou dizzier. Do not drive or do any activity that requires your alertness. Limitalcoholic beverages.
- Do not share this with others even if they havethe same sickness as yours.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planningto become pregnant. Cetirizine Hydrochloride should be used during pregnancy ifonly needed. If you become pregnant while taking this medication, call yourdoctor right away.
- For women who are breastfeeding, you need to talkto your doctor first for some instructions.
- This product can be taken by adults and childrenaged 2 years and over. This should not be given in children under 2 years ofage.
- A lower dose may be needed in people with kidney problems.Dosage should also be monitored in people who suffer from epilepsy or are at riskof convulsions.
- Do not use this for the treatment of any otherdiseases without the consent of a doctor.
- Check with your doctor before taking any othermedications. This includes vitamins or herbal supplements.
- Keep the medicine away from heat and directsunlight. Make sure that children cannot see or reach it.