General Information Zetia (Ezetimibe) is used to help lo...
Celebrex (Celecoxib) is a medication that relieves pain and swelling (inflammation). This is indicated for the treatment of acute pain, arthritis, menstrual pain, and discomfort. The swelling and pain relief provided by this treatment helps you perform more of your normal daily activities.
How does Celebrex (Celecoxib) work?
The action of Celebrex (Celecoxib) is believed to be due to inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis. It is mainly by inhibition of COX-2. COX-2 is made in reaction to inflammatory stimuli. This leads to the accumulation and synthesis of inflammatory prostanoids. It is in particular prostaglandin E2, causing inflammation, pain, and edema.
Why use Celebrex (Celecoxib)?
Celebrex (Celecoxib) is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It is specifically a COX-2 inhibitor. This is available as a capsule containing 50mg, 100mg, 200mg, and 400mg Celecoxib for oral administration. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved this medication.
How to use Celebrex (Celecoxib)?
The dosage of this medication depends on your condition and response.
Celebrex (Celecoxib) is to be taken by mouth. Swallow it as a whole with a full glass of water. Take it at the same time each day. You may take the medicine with or without food. Taking it at the same time will have the best effects. It will also help you remember when to take it. Follow your doctor’s prescription very carefully. To avoid some complications, do not double the prescribed dosage.
What are the side-effects of Celebrex (Celecoxib)?
Commons side effects:
- Abdominal pain
- Sore throat
- Upset stomach
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Skin rash
Call for medical help if you have:
- Signs of allergic reaction – difficulty breathing, hives, swelling in your face or throat
- Signs of a stroke or a heart attack – feeling short of breath, slurred speech, sudden numbness or weakness on one side of the body or leg swelling
Stop using this medication and call your doctor if these happen:
- Swelling, feeling short of breath, rapid weight gain
- The first sign of any skin rash, no matter how mild
- Signs of stomach bleeding – coughing up blood, bloody or tarry stools
- Liver problems
- Kidney problems
- Low red blood cells (anemia)
Warnings and Precautions
- This medication may cause serious stomach and intestinal ulcers. Talk with your doctor the risks and benefits that this drug has.
- Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Keep this away from the reach of children or from your pets.