Niraparibis indicated as a maintenance treatment for the r...
Cefixime is an antibiotic medicine used for the treatment of various infections that are caused by bacteria. These infections may include:
- Ear infections
- Chest infections (bronchitis or sinusitis)
- Urinary tract infections (UTI)
The Foodand Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this medication. Cefiximecomes as a tablet for oral use and available in the dosage strength of 400 mg.This medication stops the growth and development of the bacteria in yourbody.
An earinfection is an infection of the middle ear which is theair-filled space behind the eardrum. It has the little vibrating bones of theear. Children are more likely than adults to get this infection. Ear infectionoften clears up on their own, treatment may begin with managing pain andmonitoring the problem. Signs and symptoms may include:
- Tugging or pulling at an ear
- Ear pain, especially when lying down
- Loss of balance
- Loss of appetite
- Drainage of fluid from the ear
- Trouble hearing
Chestinfection is a type of respiratory infection that impacts thelower part of your respiratory tract. Your lower respiratory tract includesyour bronchi, windpipe, and lungs. Chest infections can range anywhere frommild to severe. Some signs and symptoms may include:
- Chesty cough
- Coughing up yellow or green mucus
- Discomfort in your chest
- Feeling short of breath
- Muscle aches and pains
- Feeling tired or fatigued
UTI areproduced by bacteria such as microbes poisoning the body’s defenses in the urinarytract. They can affect the kidneys, bladder, and the tubes that run betweenthem. Women are at greater risk of developing this infection than are men.Infection partial to your bladder might be annoying and painful. On the otherhand, serious concerns can happen if the infection spreads to your kidneys.Signs and symptoms of this infection may include:
- A burning sensation when urinating
- A strong and persistent urge to urinate
- Urine that appears cloudy
- Strong-smelling urine
- Passing frequent or small amounts of urine
- Urine that appears bright pink, red, or cola-colored which is a mark of blood in the urine
- Pelvic pain, in women especially in the center of the pelvis and around the area of the pubic bone
How doesCefixime work?
Cefiximeworks by interfering with the formation of bacterial cell walls. Thismedication impairs the bonds that hold the bacterial cell wall together.Wherein, it allows holes to appear in the cell walls. This kills off thebacteria causing the infection. Cefixime is a broad-spectrum antibiotic whichmeans it kills a wide variety of different types of bacteria.
Abroad-spectrum antibiotic is an antibiotic that acts on the two major bacterialgroups, gram-negative and gram-positive or any antibiotic that acts against awide range of disease-causing bacteria.
How touse Cefixime?
Take thismedication by mouth either with or without a meal. This is usually taken once aday or as directed by your doctor. In children, this medication may also betaken twice a day every 12 hours. The dosage is based on your medical conditionand response to the treatment. In children, the dosage is also based on theirweight. Swallow the tablet as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not break,chew, or crush it.
Yourdoctor may start you at a low dose and gradually increase your dose. Use thismedication regularly to get the most benefit from it. It is important tocontinue taking this medication even if you feel well. You should not stopquickly taking this medication without the consultation of your doctor. Informyour doctor if your condition does not improve or if it worsens. If you misseda dose, call your doctor right away for instructions. Do not double the dose tomake up for your missed dose.
What arethe side effects of Cefixime?
- Stomach upset or pain
- Loss of appetite
- Runny nose
- Increased night-time urination
- Sore throat
- Vaginal itching or discharge
Call yourdoctor right away if you have these side effects:
- Persistent nausea or vomiting
- Severe stomach or abdominal pain
- Dark urine
- Yellowing eyes or skin
- Unusual tiredness
- Easy bruising
- Change in the amount of urine
- New signs of infections such as persistent sore throat or fever
- Mental/mood changes such as confusion
Call formedical help if you have these signs of an allergic reaction:
- Hives or itching
- Swelling of your face, lips, throat, mouth, or tongue
- Trouble or difficulty breathing
If otherside effects occur, call your doctor right away. If there are any signs of anoverdose, call for medical assistance as well.
- Cefixime should not take by babies under six monthsof age.
- If you ever had an allergic reaction to thismedication, let your doctor know. Inform as well if you have any allergies.This drug may contain any ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- People with kidney problems may need a lowerCefixime dose or extra monitoring.
- If you are breastfeeding or pregnant make sure yourdoctor knows before you start treatment with this antibiotic. This is not knownto be harmful if used during pregnancy. But, it will only be prescribed if yourdoctor thinks it is essential to treat your infection.
- Cefixime passes into breast milk in small amountsthat are unlikely to be harmful to a nursing baby. it is if you’re taking atypical course of this antibiotic. However, if you’re taking a particularlyhigh dose or a long course of Cefixime, your doctor might ask you to monitoryour baby for any signs of stomach upset or oral thrush infection.
- Avoid or limit alcoholic beverages while havingthis medication. If you feel unwell with your infection or if you find thisdrug gives you a headache then drinking alcohol could make this worse.
- Before taking this prescription, let your doctorknow if you ever had any medical history such as kidney disease or a certainintestinal disease.
- Tell as well to your doctor if you are taking othermedications including herbal supplements or vitamins.