Where is Norethindrone used?Norethindrone is a man-made...
Where is Aliskiren used?
Aliskiren is used to treat hypertension or high blood pressure. This is in the class of medications known as direct renin inhibitors. Lowering high blood pressure helps prevent kidney problems, heart attacks, and strokes. This medication relaxes blood vessels so blood can flow more easily. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this prescription.
How does Aliskiren work?
Aliskiren works by preventing the action of an enzyme in the body called renin. Usually, renin helps the body make a compound called angiotensin I. This is converted into angiotensin II as part of the body’s natural control of blood pressure. Angiotensin II causes blood vessels to tighten and narrow which increases blood pressure. By blocking the action of renin, Aliskiren reduces the production of angiotensin I and II. This allows the blood vessels to relax and widen, which lowers blood pressure.
Lowering blood pressure within the whole population by lifestyle interventions such as increasing the consumption of fruit and vegetables or reducing dietary salt intake will be of great benefit. Blood pressure-lowering trials also demonstrate immense benefits in preventing heart failure, strokes, and coronary heart disease. There are no differences in outcome between the different methods used to lower blood pressure. The benefit is proportional to the degree of blood pressure-lowering.
How to use Aliskiren?
The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to the treatment. You should take this medication exactly as it is prescribed.
Aliskiren is a medication to be taken by mouth. Usually, this is taken once a day or as directed by your doctor. You may take each dose with or without a meal. Taking this drug with a meal may help avoid or lessen nausea. Remember to take it at the same time and in the same way every day. For the best benefit, take it regularly. Even if you feel well, continue to take this prescription. Do not suddenly stop taking this without consulting your doctor.
What are the possible side effects of Aliskiren?
- Tired feeling
- Upset stomach
What are the precautions in using Aliskiren?
- Blood pressure-lowering medicines can sometimes make you feel dizzy or weary. You should avoid performing possibly dangerous tasks such as operating machinery or driving. If you feel dizzy this can usually be relieved by lying down until the symptoms pass. Any dizziness may be made worse by drinking alcohol. If you frequently feel dizzy you should let your doctor know, as your dose of this medicine may need adjusting.
- If you ever had an allergic reaction to this medication, let your doctor know. Tell also if you have any allergies. This drug may contain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- Let your doctor know if you are taking any other medications including vitamins or herbal supplements.
- This prescription should not be used in pregnant, breastfeeding women, people with severe kidney problems, or an inherited condition called hereditary angioneurotic edema.
- This should be used with caution in people with heart disease, diabetes, liver disease, or low salt or fluid volume in the body.