General Information Micronase (Glyburide) is used to con...
Abacavir Sulfate (Ziagen)
Abacavir Sulfate (Ziagen) is soluble in water and is off-white solid. This is an antiviral treatment that avoids HIV or human immunodeficiency virus from increasing in your body. This virus can cause acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). It helps to lessen the amount of HIV in your body. This lowers your chance of getting HIV complications. It also improves your quality of life. This is prescribed for children 3 months and older. Ziagen is always used in combination with other HIV medications.
How does Abacavir Sulfate (Ziagen) work?
Abacavir Sulfate (Ziagen) works by blocking reverse transcriptase, NRTI’s prevent the HIV from increasing. This can lessen the amount of HIV in the body. HIV is the virus accountable for developed immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS). It destroys T cells which are essential to the immune system.
Why use Abacavir Sulfate (Ziagen)?
Abacavir Sulfate (Ziagen) belongs to the group of HIV medications called nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs). This also reduces the risk of HIV transmission. Ziagen has two forms oral solution and tablets. This medication is already approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How to use Abacavir Sulfate (Ziagen)?
The recommended dosage for adults is 300mg twice a day. It can also be 600mg once a day. For children and adolescents who weigh more than 30kg, the prescribed dosage is 300mg taken twice a day. This must be taken in combination with other HIV medications. This is usually can be taken with or without food. If your doctor gave you a dosage that is different from here, follow it promptly.
What are the side-effects of Abacavir Sulfate (Ziagen)?
These may occur while taking Abacavir Sulfate (Ziagen):
– Occasional dizziness
– Changes in your immune system
– Increased risk of heart attack
– Stomach pain and diarrhea
– Shortness of breath
– Cough and sore throat
Warnings and Precautions
These are the things that you need to be cautious with while taking this medication:
• Keep this medicine in the container that it came in. keep the container tightly closed.
• Do not take Ziagen if you are allergic to it or any ingredients that it contains.
• Do not take this also if you have moderate to severely reduced liver function.
• Do not twice the dose.
• Women with HIV should be instructed not to breastfeed. It may have the risk of HIV transmission.
• Keep this away and all your other medicines from the reach of children.